Nexus 5x and 6p sound quality
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #76 of 118
  Just got these Techmatte UBC-C to USB micro adapters http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151RKYBG
Tested on my Nexus 6P and Oppo HA-2 and it was no-go.  Tested with both a USB micro male to USB micro male cable that came with HA-2, as well a standard USB micro to USB cable.  Changed the USB option to MIDI but audio was still coming out of the speakers. 
Not sure if I missed something or the adapters just didn't work.  Any idea? 
TIA

Maybe because the adapter lacks OTG compatibility?

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #78 of 118
Hi guys,
I'm reading about a lot of you that are using external usb DAC with OTG cables. I'm planning to buy a Dragonfly to improve my Nexus 6P sound quality.
I would ask you if after have attached the DAC to the nexus, all the system wide sounds will come out the DAC, or only the sound coming from special app. I mean, does it work even with Google Play Music and other apps or only with USB Audio Player?
Thanks!

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #80 of 118
So I just picked up the cable linked below from Amazon and connected the k1 to the 6p and it worked right away. I am in no way shape or form an audiophile but can definitely hear a jump in volume when connecting the k1 to the 6p. The cable is about 3 ft long, although I wish it was shorter I'm just happy to confirm it does work great. No longer needing to connect a ton of adapters to make it work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UUBRX0Y/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #81 of 118
Hey guys, do you ink it's possible to use a usb y splitter or Hub(not powered one) and have on one side a sub thumb drive with music files and on the other side a usb dac/amp such as smsl m2 ?? Thanks

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #82 of 118
  This phone is not worth the hassle. For audio it is pretty poor. 

I'm going to disagree with you. I wouldn't recommend it for an audiophile searching for top quality, but over all it isn't bad.

I've found it has a fairly balanced and detailed sound but has very low volume through its HP out. Last night I paired it with a cmoy amp and my JH10X3's and it was actually pretty stellar. I was getting a little noise but I think that was due to my mini connector but wouldn't put it past radio interference with the cmoy. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #83 of 118
audio probably not great but the phone itself is one of the best android phone out there right now(if not THE best).

personally, i would just stick with my DAP (fiio x3II) for music and everything else with my nexus 6p.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #85 of 118
Any recommended closed Over Ear/On Ear for Nexus 4 !! They all sound too low on Nexus 4 for my liking. Even IEMs sound bad on Nexus 4. Nexus 4 sound quality is a big pain...
angry_face.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #87 of 118
Hi,

the Fiio k1 has just arrived, i bought this cable as well: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B011N96ZJQ?ref_=pe_386201_51767741_TE_dp_3

unfortunately it works random, I mean, 50% of the times it works just after having plugged it in, but if I pause the playback it stops working, in the sense that when I restart the track any sounds come out :frowning2:

Do you think it could be a cable problem?

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #88 of 118
I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless (built in ability to work as a USB DAC) and threw in one of these for the hell of it - http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU033/ -- I figured if it didn't work I could still use it to charge the headphones from my USB-C charger and not need to pack two chargers.

I'm pleased to report that it works as I hoped! You need to plug in the headphones powered off, set the USB mode to 'Power supply: Charge the other connected device" when prompted by Android, then power on the headphones. When doing it in that order it works 100% of the time - plug n play DAC out of USB-C :D

ps. I know this cable is super long and impractical for a phone > DAC > 3.5mm use case. They do a 1m version too, which is still a bit too long but could be worth considering if you are having intermittent issues with a cheaper cable.

Edit: wow, the play/pause/skip and volume control buttons on the headphones work as well!

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #90 of 118
Don't know why Nexus 6P got uniformly negative rating of its sound quality.
I just receive mine, and it's sound quality beats all phones / pads I have used, by a fairly large margin.   (Including:   SONY Z3,  Samsung Galaxy S7,  iPhone 6,  Samsung Galaxy S6, and ...)
It is truly Hi Fi level of sound quality.    And all other phones are not even close.

Manufacturing date:   2016 03 15
S/N: 84B7N163090033**
Bought from:   http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Nexus-6P-Aluminum-smartphone/dp/B015YCRYZM

What I don't like about 6P's sound  (compared to > $1k DAC) :
1. slightly bass heavy,  just very slightly.
2. highs are not very refined

Users who are viewing this thread

Back