Next up: Balanced JISBOS
Apr 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ferrari

So how does it sound?

It sounds much bigger than what you probably would expect from a mini-amp like this.
The sound can be summed up in one word: "neutral". It lets the music in its own value, no audible additional noise or coloration.
cool.gif

Connected to my old Marantz CD63KI CD-player, it plays very loud (almost too loud for me) via my Sennheiser HD650,
with the volume knop at ~13 o'clock, unless the effective gain is only 2x.

Note that my little amp is feeded by a ±18V σ22 PSU (a bit higer than recommended).

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Ferrari, I'd be interested in how you'd compare it to some of your other amps (particularly the b22) as long as you have enough voltage from your source to play with.

Ohhh... this is once again a "very standard, out of the box" question I often received by PM/or email.
frown.gif

What are you expecting from 2 amps of totally different design topologies, purposes, segments, price classes (and..., and..., and.........) ??? Thinking of comparing a Volkswagen Golf with a Porsche... you know what I mean?
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh... this is once again a "very standard, out of the box" question I often received by PM/or email.
frown.gif

What are you expecting from 2 amps of totally different design topologies, purposes, segments, price classes (and..., and..., and.........) ??? Thinking of comparing a Volkswagen Golf with a Porsche... you know what I mean?
wink.gif

ahh this makes me sheepishly grin as i glance at my glorious 4 channel beta 22. now only if i had a porsche...!

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

The sound can be summed up in one word: "neutral". It lets the music in its own value, no audible additional noise or coloration.
cool.gif

yup, yup, yup... sounds like the perfect tape loop buffer
smily_headphones1.gif
which output devices did you use?

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

frown.gif

wink.gif

I understand what you are saying, but if you just forget about design topologies and purposes and price classes...how does just the sound compare? Nothing else matters.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup, yup, yup... sounds like the perfect tape loop buffer
smily_headphones1.gif
which output devices did you use?

Output transistors are Toshiba 2SC3422/2SA1359. The large heatsink allows quiescent current biasing at 50mA.
For using as tape loop buffer, you don't need to set the quiescent current that high (as I did), 15mA is more than sufficient.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Output transistors are Toshiba 2SC3422/2SA1359. The large heatsink allows quiescent current biasing at 50mA.
For using as tape loop buffer, you don't need to set the quiescent current that high (as I did), 15mA is more than sufficient.

yes, I have it set around 18mA actually. I'll see if I have some pics lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back