Next step?
May 27, 2014 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

So Far

Head-Fier
Hey guys, first thing please excuse my bad English beacuase I'm probably going to make some mistakes.

Ok so here's the question- I bought my first let's say "good" headphones about 4 or 5 months ago which are the Sennheiser Momentum. Really love them, great cans but I'm now looking for an upgrade for home use since I'm going to be home much more often. I'm looking for something a bit more exciting since the Momentum are really veiled and can sometimes be really boring. I've come across 2 main options after reading ALOT.
First is the HE-400/400i which seemed like the best option to me (I also gonna need a recommandation for amp within the budget).
The second option is the Grado line because I mainly listen to rock/metal.

Any other suggetion will be great and taken into consideration.
Total budget is around 600-700$ but will be stretched if really needed.

bigsmile_face.gif

May 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 8
The he400 is a great hp at it's current discounted price. But the he400i, due out in a few weeks will be considerably better at $500. You might wait for that one to be released. 

May 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
  The he400 is a great hp at it's current discounted price. But the he400i, due out in a few weeks will be considerably better at $500. You might wait for that one to be released. 

Please keep in mind my total budget is around 700$ total so the he400i isnt affordble with the price gap (I've seen alot of he400 going for 300$)

May 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 8
For neutrality and to avoid the hassle of tube amps if you don't intentionally want to distort your sound or experiment with different setups, get a solid-state amp like the Objective2. That will drive anything I know of until it hurts your ears.

May 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 8
  For neutrality and to avoid the hassle of tube amps if you don't intentionally want to distort your sound or experiment with different setups, get a solid-state amp like the Objective2. That will drive anything I know of until it hurts your ears.

Thanks alot for the advice, but there's something else I need to know and forgot to ask. I'll use the hp with my home pc that currently have the ASUS Phoebus installed on by my brother. I know it's main use is gaming but I've heard it does quite well with hp aswell. Will it driver the HE400 at a good level? I'm not expecting it to be as good as 200$ external hp amps but saving 200$ will help alot.

May 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 8
  Thanks alot for the advice, but there's something else I need to know and forgot to ask. I'll use the hp with my home pc that currently have the ASUS Phoebus installed on by my brother. I know it's main use is gaming but I've heard it does quite well with hp aswell. Will it driver the HE400 at a good level? I'm not expecting it to be as good as 200$ external hp amps but saving 200$ will help alot.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but there are all sorts of different ways to determine whether or not the Phoebus will drive your headphones. HE-400s aren't that hard to drive, comparatively speaking. Just Google "headphone amp calculator" while you have one tab open for ASUS Phoebus specs, and another for HE-400. Sorry I can't help more.

May 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 8

I couldn't tell you for sure, but there are all sorts of different ways to determine whether or not the Phoebus will drive your headphones. HE-400s aren't that hard to drive, comparatively speaking. Just Google "headphone amp calculator" while you have one tab open for ASUS Phoebus specs, and another for HE-400. Sorry I can't help more.

It's ok really thanks for the advice and all the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back