Next Step?
Jul 7, 2005 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

toor

100+ Head-Fier
I wasn’t really sure where to put this, but I figured this was as good a place as any. Right now, my two sources are a D-EJ2000 and my Laptop with the PCMCIA Audigy card (has optical line out). I also have a gmini220 (which see very rare playtime). Currently, I send both to Porta Corda Mk II. The headphones I have are currently ER4 and Porta Pros. This summer I have decided to add a new set for more comfortable at home/dorm listening. And, I will be going for either the sr-225 or HD650. At this point I will be considering investing in a source/amp upgrade and was wondering what would be the best route to take. I have about $700 freed up now and probably could get up to $1000 by Christmas.

My two options (as I see them are):
DAC + Cheap Amp – I was thinking VDA1/Piccolo/MicroAmp -> Gilmore Lite/Recommendation?

Or just going for a more permanent upgrade in the future:
i.e DAC-1 or EE Minimax CD player.

In either case I am hoping this will be one my last major upgrades until I graduate from college (yeah right). I tend to like a variety of music and was looking for a set-up that will provide just the most toe-tapping enjoyment. If anyone has mad a similar decision or advice on which set up they think would be more enjoyable I would appreciate the input. Has anybody tried getting by with D-EJ as a cheap transport with a good DAC supporting it? Thanks in advance for any help. Portability isnt really an issue.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm a big fan of the Headroom stuff but someone else here may have more experience with variety and offer a less biased opinion.

With that said you have the cash to put yourself in a pretty sweet spot. If I were in your shoes I'd go with one of the Headroom Desktop amps. You can add a DAC to it and upgrade it down the road to be similar to the "Home" if you get that upgrade itch. This is a pretty cool option and could save you from swapping gear completely and spending more $$$

DEJ2000>Desktop amp>DAC>HD650's =
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back