Next Step Up With Speakers
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I am using the two front speakers (in 2ch stereo mode) that came with my Yamaha HTR-6030 Receiver, which I purchased at the beginning of 2008. Never bothered with the rear speakers, lost the cord to my sub when moving things around and I don't even know why I stopped using the center speaker. I think I generally like just the two better, though I might try the surround thing someday. What I've got going isn't bad but.. I've heard better. I don't know what the general quality is of the speakers that come boxed with home theater systems. They are pretty much full-sized bookshelf speakers from what I can tell but I don't know the specs and wouldn't know what they meant if I did. :p

So if someone were just wanting to upgrade from the in-box speakers to something a bit better, what would the next step be?

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 16
If you want to just stick with a 2 speaker setup, maybe look into full sized floorstanding speakers.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to just stick with a 2 speaker setup, maybe look into full sized floorstanding speakers.

Actually I would suggest sticking with monitors (never liked the term "bookshelf"). At a given price level, a monitor will sound better than a floorstander, every time. A floorstander that sounds better than mediocre requires at least a good $1000, less on the used market. You can get some great monitors for $300 or so.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I would suggest sticking with monitors (never liked the term "bookshelf"). At a given price level, a monitor will sound better than a floorstander, every time. A floorstander that sounds better than mediocre requires at least a good $1000, less on the used market. You can get some great monitors for $300 or so.

Hm, interesting wisdom. Never thought about it before, but you may be right about that.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

I agree with that. A good monitor is the way to go!.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with that. A good monitor is the way to go!.

I'll ++++ that a good monitor on the right height stands set up with the right "toe in" will sound and fit into most rooms, better then a floor stander. If you can keep them away from your front wall and out from the side walls you'll be happy....and amazed at their sound stage and image they produce, good luck.....PS look at the used market?????

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 16
Before you buy, check out a few hi-fi stores in your area. You may get a feel for the sound and also make note of the ones you may be looking for. With luck you may get them used for a whole lot cheaper.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

floorstander that sounds better than mediocre requires at least a good $1000

Beg to differ. $600 for Magnepan MMGs.

Of course that's assuming you like the dipole sound. If we're talking just dynamics then I'd agree . . . a pair of Focal, Epos, or (vintage) NHT bookshelves would sound very nice (not a fan of the new stuff).

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 16
I suggested Focal, Epos etc, to him. He got the BestBuy bookshelves for now, while he saves for better. Theyre a good buy for the price.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 16
Price range?

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 16
For under 2k, i suggest monitor Audio floor standing. if you are looking to pair with tubes, then you would need efficient speakers. It all kinda depends on your system and price range.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 16
I also beg to differ about the monitors.

Be sure to consider used speakers. Prices become a lot more reasonable and $1,000 on used can knock your socks off. Speakers tend to be very stable components. If they're working and don't have foam rot (obvious and even a novice will see it) then they're going to work well for years.

Also, give DIY some thought. If you have the desire and access to a few tools, you can build excellent speakers on the cheap.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 16
i meant the used as well, but your points are well taken.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 16
I have a pair of Martin Logan Preface. I thought they are just temp filler and short stay, since they were cheap, used pair for $750 shipped to my door. They sound really good for even full price at bestbuy. Now I have change my mind, that untill I got my dream speakers Preface are Ok to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back