Next Step: Kramer-SC75 or Grado SR-60?
Oct 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I currently have the Head Direct RE2(revision 3 w/the cloth cable), and I think its time to move upstream. Should I get the Kramer-SC75s right now, and mod it with the Headband, or save more money for the SR60s(I or Not, which is better?)? I was thinking about getting the SR60s because they are good for use at home too, but some people think that the KSC75 is just as good. Maybe I should get both? My source is a Gigabeat F40 w/Flac files. Now that I'm hooked to the RE2s, would it be better to move upstream to the SC75 or the SR60?

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 17
The Grado SR60 will rock your world.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture2323-600x400.jpg

Go for it.

Click: Grado SR 60i - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Both are good but in my opinion the sr60 is in a different league and a definite upgrade.

The thing is, the ksc75 is a great bang/buck but so is the sr60 even at $70. I'd say they are some of the best audio bargains.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 17
If you are willing to save up then go with the grado's. If you don't feel like waiting, which is alright, then get the ksc75. They are both great bang for bucks and you can always get the grados later if you feel like upgrading.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 17
Should I get the i or the regular? Whats a good price for them? Also, Valiente, I notice you post the same exact picture and the same exact link in almost all posts asking aout the sr60s. Isn't that a little weird and repetitive?

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 17
In my opinion,the sr60(not the i version),is not better than the stock ksc 75(but you must find the right positioning to make ksc75 sound good)

I find the ksc 75 to be a bit more natural,with slight bigger soundstage,and with a bit better imaging.

I liked the sr60,but i think the ksc 75 is a bit better.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion,the sr60(not the i version),is not better than the stock ksc 75(but you must find the right positioning to make ksc75 sound good)

I find the ksc 75 to be a bit more natural,with slight bigger soundstage,and with a bit better imaging.

I liked the sr60,but i think the ksc 75 is a bit better.

Agreed. For me, having the RS2 before the SR60 (again, not the "i" version) may have messed up my perspective a bit, but the KSC75 sounded full-bodied to me, where as the SR60 painfully reminded me of a tin radio. A good quality tin radio, but a tin radio nevertheless.

And that is why I still have multiple pairs of the KSC75 with me today, and the SR225 next to me right now.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 17
This doesn't exactly help me at all. So If i had to pick ONE, which would it be? Most importantly, when I have more money to afford more expensive headphones, which one will I be able to go back to more?

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 17
I'd suggest stretching to an SR80 if you can afford it.
Overall I think the SR80 is an upgrade.
The SR60 for me is a bit of a sidegrade. Theres definitely some nicer things, but I find the treble to be a bit edgy or strange in the SR60 (far less so in the SR80).
The Koss has a more present bass sound IME (which is why I think some prefer it).

Horses for courses
smily_headphones1.gif
... or however that saying goes.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the exact opposite reaction. I bought the KSC75 because I wanted good quality sound on the road that could at least sort of match my SR60i at home. I still attest that they're an incredible deal for the price, but they had a flat uninvolving plastic-like sound that plagues just about every other bargain-priced headphone. Their soundstage is smaller, but better than earbuds and cheap closed phones, and there's good instrument separation. Mids seem recessed, with a sharp but not exaggerated treble and loud bass with good impact but a lack of detail. Also overall less micro-detail, which makes the sound seem like it's painted on a wall, rather than coming from real instruments.

I don't know if the i makes that much of a difference for the SR60 to account for the opposite opinions. I know it would for the soundstage. You can't go wrong with either, but if you have the money I say go for the SR60i (not SR60, just to be safe). Or the Alessandro MS1, which I'm hearing more and more good things about, but it's even more expensive. What might be a good idea is get a cheap pair of KSC75 now, MS1 later. But I'm a SR60i lover, and so it gets my vote.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the exact opposite reaction. I bought the KSC75 because I wanted good quality sound on the road that could at least sort of match my SR60i at home. I still attest that they're an incredible deal for the price, but they had a flat uninvolving plastic-like sound that plagues just about every other bargain-priced headphone. Their soundstage is smaller, but better than earbuds and cheap closed phones, and there's good instrument separation. Mids seem recessed, with a sharp but not exaggerated treble and loud bass with good impact but a lack of detail. Also overall less micro-detail, which makes the sound seem like it's painted on a wall, rather than coming from real instruments.

I don't know if the i makes that much of a difference for the SR60 to account for the opposite opinions. I know it would for the soundstage. You can't go wrong with either, but if you have the money I say go for the SR60i (not SR60, just to be safe). Or the Alessandro MS1, which I'm hearing more and more good things about, but it's even more expensive. What might be a good idea is get a cheap pair of KSC75 now, MS1 later. But I'm a SR60i lover, and so it gets my vote.

Have you tried kramer modding them? They really need the mod to shine...

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried kramer modding them? They really need the mod to shine...

Assuming that the mod isn't hard to do, how hard is it to mess up? Is there a "right" and "wrong" way to do it? What is your opinion of the SR60 and the KSC75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back