Next step for me?
Jun 13, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 28
Your next step after getting a component is to try to enjoy it and evaluate it. Your next step after that would be trying to figure out what's lacking most if you want to spend more money.

I think it's more useful to know how something sounds before deciding its shortcomings. We could guess but we may or may not be right and my priorities likely are not identical to yours even if I did guess close to what your system sounds like.

I don't mean to discredit your thread. Rather, it might be more beneficial to you if you used this thread to talk about some of the aspects you like and dislike in your system. That is, describe the symptoms before we go around prescribing your cures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
<sigh> And everyone was raving about the denon a few short months ago.

I wasn't.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 28
Lol...next step = buy records and ignore everyone here. When your 370 starts to skip (like mine) then think about upgrading.

Edit: But if you must upgrade...go analog
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Edit: But if you must upgrade...go analog
very_evil_smiley.gif

I second that, seriously.

It seems that you're on a budget. Get a used turntable and phono stage and you're in business.
Lots of fun, lots of tweaks, lots of inexpensive software.

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 28
Yes indeed, digital sucks so get yourself a decent turtable and records and have fun, and then you can stop worrying about that Denon and listen to music for hours on end.

Jun 14, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
A new CDP, since I can't imagine that your Denon, with its high jitter levels and only an RCA digital out, would be a great transport.

- Wasif.

eek.gif
eek.gif
Have I got this all wrong then?

I thought that (heck, I can HEAR that) RCA / Phono digital output was the way to go... sounding much purer than the optical equivilant

and Jitter... that is controlled on DAC, no? - on my DAC there is a 'Clock-Lock' feature... that is what Jitter is... No? - My Marantz on its own has one of the worst Jitter rates out of modern day CDPs, and I think that the DAC has cleaned up the sound?!

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

eek.gif
eek.gif
Have I got this all wrong then?

I thought that (heck, I can HEAR that) RCA / Phono digital output was the way to go... sounding much purer than the optical equivilant

and Jitter... that is controlled on DAC, no? - on my DAC there is a 'Clock-Lock' feature... that is what Jitter is... No? - My Marantz on its own has one of the worst Jitter rates out of modern day CDPs, and I think that the DAC has cleaned up the sound?!

You haven't gotten it all wrong, Duncan. Digital RCA output is the way to go over optical output. However, the problem with RCA is that most single-ended digital cables strive for 75 ohm impedance throughout the cable, and yet no RCA plug (or RCA output jack) is capable of that; they're all usually closer to 50 ohms in impedance. This impedance mismatch introduces additional jitter. What I mean was that a "proper" transport should at least have a BNC output and (ideally) an AES/EBU output.

Jitter isn't controlled "on" DAC. Your Marantz has a crystal oscillator that takes care of timing (bottom right hand corner of the PCB, wrapped in a black silicone ring), and the fact that it's not the nicest oscillator around is one of the factors leading to the high jitter rates (as I recall, your model's jitter is somewhere in the 600+ ps range; by comparison, a Musical Fidelity A3CD is sub-200 ps and the best transports bring it down to single digits.

- Wasif.

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 28
andrze...

Lighten up man!! We are the same age and I'm looking at a years of saving before i get to buy my first amp! I'd kill to have what you have - don't listen to the people here.. They have money to spare, and I'm sure you dont!!

Your current setup is like my current DREAM for christs sake. Enjoy it or I'd have to kill you.

Feel any better now??

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks for that Wasif... I'm now in the know
smily_headphones1.gif

andrzejpw... Don't feel blue ~ as long as it sounds good to you, then thats all that matters... Its when it doesn't that you have to start worrying
eek.gif

I've upgraded so many times in the past year, and only just now... the sound is starting to come around... its a varying road.. some find their destination as soon as they start the journey... others never find it... its up to you if you think you're there or not?!

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
andrze...

Lighten up man!! We are the same age and I'm looking at a years of saving before i get to buy my first amp! I'd kill to have what you have - don't listen to the people here.. They have money to spare, and I'm sure you dont!!

Your current setup is like my current DREAM for christs sake. Enjoy it or I'd have to kill you.

Feel any better now??

sorry, didn't mean to be rude. Its just that . . . gah, never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back