Next new toy: budget electrostats or planars?
Sep 26, 2019 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ponyhead

Head-Fier
Hi all, long-time lurker here. This forum has yet to steer me wrong, so I turn to it again, this time more directly.

I've tried a variety of different-sounding headphones, but I have yet to try planars and electrostats so those seem like the next logical steps. To give you an idea of my taste, the pair I currently use the most is the hd650, and I listen to a variety of genres (rock, electronica, classical piano, jazz). The headphones I least liked are the dt990.

My amp is the Heed Canamp.

Planar-wise, catching my eye is the Sash Deux ($350) thanks to Roderick's posts in this thread and this thread.

However, for similar or cheaper, I see some Stax on eBay such as the sr-5 / sr-44 / sr-84 / sr-307 / sr-L300.

Thoughts? I'm guessing planar/electrostat is apples/oranges, but maybe at least guide me on which electrostat to get if I go that route?

Also, no first post would be complete without some noob questions, so here goes :wink:

With electrostats, could I use my solid-state amp with the energizer, or would I need a special amp just for electrostats?

And help me understand "electrets". Some head-fiers said they lose their charge, others say that takes many lifetimes, but what I don't get is, the Stax electrets are used with energizers, which I thought was what distinguished regular electrostats from electrets? If an electret pair has an energizer, how can it lose its charge over the years?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back