Next Headphones ($500-$600)
May 16, 2015 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MermaidMan

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help deciding on my next purchase. I sold my HE500s and Tubemagic D1 back in December to have some extra cash to spend on Christmas presents. I absolutely loved their sound but I am looking for something a little different... I don't really have a specific sound signature because I also adored my D5000s that I had previously. I've looked into the following:
1.)HE400i
2.)EL-8 (recently demoed-enjoyed but not blown away)
3.)PM2
4.)Z7
5.)USED D7000
6.)USED DX1000 (very interested, not much information)
7.)HE4

Now, I would prefer to not have to buy an amp, but if need be I don't want to spend a lot on an amp ($100-$150). I have some preferences I've sorted out after listening to several headphones over the past few years. They are as follows:
1.)Clarity/Air (instrument separation)
2.)Good mids, especially vocals
3.)Good bass, needs impact but I don't mind some boominess
4.)Good soundstage/imaging

May 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 14
I need some help deciding on my next purchase. I sold my HE500s and Tubemagic D1 back in December to have some extra cash to spend on Christmas presents. I absolutely loved their sound but I am looking for something a little different... I don't really have a specific sound signature because I also adored my D5000s that I had previously. I've looked into the following:
1.)HE400i
2.)EL-8 (recently demoed-enjoyed but not blown away)
3.)PM2
4.)Z7
5.)USED D7000
6.)USED DX1000 (very interested, not much information)
7.)HE4

Now, I would prefer to not have to buy an amp, but if need be I don't want to spend a lot on an amp ($100-$150). I have some preferences I've sorted out after listening to several headphones over the past few years. They are as follows:

What about the Beyerdynamic T90?

The HE-4 is also a very good pick but it's really hard to drive, much harder to drive than HE-500.

May 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 14
I haven't heard the T90, can you make any comparisons with the cans I listed? Also, the he4 can be had relatively cheap which would leave money for an amp.

Then the HE-4 should be on your shortlist.

Here you can read a very interesting comparison HE-400, HE-500, HE-4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison

Here you have measurements:

HE-4
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4.pdf

HE-6
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE6.pdf

Very close as you can see.

An experienced headfier called the HE-4 a 'super Beyerdynamic DT880'

On the other hand the T90 is a dynamic headphone, baby T1 for some, it's much easier to drive than HE-4, pretty expansive soundstage and really comfortable, like most Beyerdynamics. It has a very slight u-shaped frequency response and it's still very precise and transparent all across the spectrum.

These are both superb headphones in terms of technicalities, both HE-4 and T90 are slightly on the bright/detailed/airy camp, and both tend to excel with top quality recordings.

What I really like about my Beyers is that they are very solid and comfortable, I can always pick my DT880s or T1s and just enjoy, even when I want to listen to music on the bed. The classic Beyer design is not small but neither bulky (K702), and stays there without pressing your head too much.

More so, you can plug a T90 directly into a laptop or phone and still get it sounding right, not full potential, sure, but still right. On the other hand for the HE-4 an amp is mandatory.

Hope this helps!

Me x3

May 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 14

If you are willing to use equalization, I think Stax headphones are a great option.

The EQ would only be needed to elevate the bass and maybe to tame the treble. The bass detail and accuracy is great, but you won't get the same visceral bass as with planar magnetics. Lambdas are very transparent, airy, have very nice mids and great soundstage/imaging.

In my country there are two Stax SRS-4040 Signature systems for slae right now for €650. I guess you should be able to find other similar systems within the price range you mention. I have also owned an SRS-2020 system that cost me $250 and it's great value for money!

May 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Then the HE-4 should be on your shortlist.

Here you can read a very interesting comparison HE-400, HE-500, HE-4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison

Here you have measurements:

HE-4
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4.pdf

HE-6
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE6.pdf

Very close as you can see.

An experienced headfier called the HE-4 a 'super Beyerdynamic DT880'

On the other hand the T90 is a dynamic headphone, baby T1 for some, it's much easier to drive than HE-4, pretty expansive soundstage and really comfortable, like most Beyerdynamics. It has a very slight u-shaped frequency response and it's still very precise and transparent all across the spectrum.

These are both superb headphones in terms of technicalities, both HE-4 and T90 are slightly on the bright/detailed/airy camp, and both tend to excel with top quality recordings.

What I really like about my Beyers is that they are very solid and comfortable, I can always pick my DT880s or T1s and just enjoy, even when I want to listen to music on the bed. The classic Beyer design is not small but neither bulky (K702), and stays there without pressing your head too much.

More so, you can plug a T90 directly into a laptop or phone and still get it sounding right, not full potential, sure, but still right. On the other hand for the HE-4 an amp is mandatory.

Hope this helps!

Me x3

Wow! Thanks for the help! I still am very curious about the DX1000 because it seems like it sounds so unique but I've never heard it... I think at this point if I can't get some solid info on the DX1000 comparison wise I will pull the trigger on some HE-4s and grill mod them for an excellent sound stage!

May 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 14
Sorry to bump but now I'm also curious about the new W1000z, which is supposedly tuned like the W3000ANV, which I loved at a meet. Any impressions/comparisons would be greatly appreciated!!

May 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Since you have the D7000 on the list, you may want to throw the Fostex TH-600 on your list.  It definitely ticks your preferences.  Before purchasing I was afraid it would have terribly muffled mids.  Instead to my ears it has incredibly detailed vocals, just that the singer sounds a little further away than the instruments.  I've had lots of wow/fun moments with it, like you may have heard with your past D5000.

May 20, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Since you have the D7000 on the list, you may want to throw the Fostex TH-600 on your list.  It definitely ticks your preferences.  Before purchasing I was afraid it would have terribly muffled mids.  Instead to my ears it has incredibly detailed vocals, just that the singer sounds a little further away than the instruments.  I've had lots of wow/fun moments with it, like you may have heard with your past D5000.

Yeah good suggestion! I've definitely looked into it and I love the way it looks. How would you say the mids compare to the HE500, if you have heard it? I love vocals but they aren't top priority... Are they more forward than the D5000, which were very fun but not a great match for vocals?

May 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 14
The T90 are a great headphone (them and the LCD2.2F take up 80%+ of my listening time) the only thing they are bright so I would recommend a tube amp with them. I use a T1 with a UK tube into a Asgard 2 and they sound FINE. Even with just the T1 they sound good.

May 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Yeah good suggestion! I've definitely looked into it and I love the way it looks. How would you say the mids compare to the HE500, if you have heard it? I love vocals but they aren't top priority... Are they more forward than the D5000, which were very fun but not a great match for vocals?

Unfortunately I haven't heard the HE500 or D5000.  My other point of reference with the TH600 is a pair of SE846 IEMs.  The TH600 vocals sound just a tad bit quieter in the mix to me vs. on the SE846.  But because of the sound stage I enjoy the TH600s more.

May 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Okay I think I've made a decision... I want to buy an HE4 and run it off of a vintage receiver. For the receiver I wouldn't want to spend over $100, but could I run the HE4 from the headphone out of a vintage receiver with good results? Or would I need to use the speaker out to power them sufficiently?

May 21, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Okay I think I've made a decision... I want to buy an HE4 and run it off of a vintage receiver. For the receiver I wouldn't want to spend over $100, but could I run the HE4 from the headphone out of a vintage receiver with good results? Or would I need to use the speaker out to power them sufficiently?

Why not just getting a Schiit Audio Magni 2?
It's 99 dollars and it will provide much better sound quality than a 100 dollar receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back