Next Dream Theater album for me?
Nov 8, 2005 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers --

I am obsessed with Awake at the moment, the only album I have heard from Dream Theater.
I like how it is dark and edgy, but still maintains it's progressive rock feel throughout...
I am not a big metal fan, but Dream Theater is clearly more than that!

Which album should I try next so that I am not disappointed after Awake?

I feel like the above was a foolish question...
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 25
Scenes From a Memory is definitely top of your list.
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Train of Thought (VERY heavy, though)
Octavarium (some lighter stuff, some heavy, title track is very good and very proggish)
Images and Words is also very good.

Try them all! If you liked Awake, you will like these others more or less.

Also, you MUST give each of them several listens before you pass judgement. They all take awhile to sink in due to their complex nature.

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 25
SFAM would not be at the top of your list if you want the closest thing to Awake.

SDOIT would probably suit you best, followed by Train of Thought. Falling Into Infinity and SFAM would be somewhere in the middle, and Octavarium is way at the bottom of your list.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 25
I'd recomend Train of Thought. I've been listening to that album the most (compared to their others), and I definately prefer the heavier sound. Plus, songs like Stream Of Consciousness just rock your world...

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 25
I'd also recommend Train of Thought and Six Degrees.

I honestly think you wouldn't be disappointed with any DT album.
I go through DT album phases, at the moment it's Images And Words.

Nov 9, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
SFAM would not be at the top of your list if you want the closest thing to Awake.

asmox --

Let me rephrase my inquiry -- I am not looking for the "closest thing to Awake."
My intent was to fill you in on what I have heard from them, nothing more than that.

I am open to any and all suggestions, but I would not like anything harder than Awake.
Awake is kind of pushing my limits, but they do it so well that I have come to accept it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
Also, you MUST give each of them several listens before you pass judgement. They all take awhile to sink in due to their complex nature.

Cadman --

Thank you for the advice, what you said was very evident with Awake.
It took a significant amount of time for it to grow on me, but it did!

BANGPOD

P.S. I do not listen to much progressive rock, but Rush's Moving Pictures has me stunned (if that helps).

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
I am open to any and all suggestions, but I would not like anything harder than Awake.

in that case, you should probably avoid Train of Thought for now
600smile.gif

go with SDOIT

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
in that case, you should probably avoid Train of Thought for now
600smile.gif

go with SDOIT

And Images and Words.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 25
Their studio albums, in my opinion of descending quality:

A Change of Seasons (taking only the title-track into consideration, as original material)
Scenes From a Memory
Images and Words
Awake
Train of Throught
Six Degrees...
Falling Into Infinity
Octavarium
When Day and Dream Unit

I think the first four are all spectacular, and what makes this band as well-loved as they are. Going down the list you begin to encounter more and more stuff that either sounds forced (some of their later work) or aimless/half-hearted (from their early-mid career). There is certainly something to appreciate on every album, and I'd not rate any lower than 6/10 (taking the first four as 9.5-10/10), but I'd certainly save the last three until you are well in love with the band to the point where you don't mind paying out for a less than amazing total effort, in the name of completism.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AML
And Images and Words.
biggrin.gif

I don't agree. I would NOT characterize I&W as "heavy" as compared to say, ToT or SDoIT.

I think its actually a very good mix of light/heavy and still being very melodic.

As a matter of fact, after your last clarification, I&W would be my first choice next.

And DON'T discount Scenes from a Memory. It is heavy, but very very good!!
etysmile.gif

"All that we learn this time.....is caried beyond this life...." a beautiful lyric from Scenes. And the story that runs thru the album will bend your brain.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 25
Just get em in order. Images and Words is a perfect sequel to Awake, then SFAM, etc etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Or, all at once.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
images and words sequel? It was their first album.

get that one, i like it the best.

It wasn't actually (When Dream And Day Unite was), but you're right, Awake did come after. Thought it was the other way round
smily_headphones1.gif

Bah, get I&W anyway
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
images and words sequel? It was their first album.

get that one, i like it the best.

What he meant was the OP bought Awake first. He then wanted a reccommendation on a good one to get next. He didn't want anything too much different because he really liked Awake. So.....and Awake sequel for the OP!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back