Next Bang for the buck step up from Re-400s advice sought (IEMS)
Jul 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gatorengineer64

Head-Fier
Long time lurker first time poster.  After hanging out here for a while in the shadows I bought an pair of HE-500s' and an Audio GD 11.32... really couldnt be happier (at least for now)....  This is kind of my approach in many of my hobbies, instead of being an 70% of the performance, for 10% of the price guy, I am more of a 90% of the performance for 30% of the price....LOL....

It was with great expectation that I bought a pair of Hifiman RE-400s from Amazon...  The unboxing was not impressive for a 100 dollar set of phones so I figured it would all be in the audio.  After playing with them for a couple of hours, they are going back....  Tip selection was terrible, no instructions (which I presume is simply lack of care about the customer on the manufacturers part), and no idea what to do with the sticky sheet and the disks....  My ear size is somewhere between the elephantine set of tips and the large....  I dont sense much soundstage, and bass response drops off  to much for my liking (I am a flat response guy, not a bass head), adjust for more base, and the rest of the sound is undesirable.....

I also clearly sense that these are not "a built to last" set.

So my question to the forum is with Soundstage and Flat response being critical, what is the next step up in bang for the buck?  Music tastes run Rock / Classic Rock / and on a Luther Allison binge right now.  I have good quality flac recordings, and these will for the most part be my work / travel set driven off of a FIIO E17 (until and if an E18) comes out.

I also live where it is impossible to audition anything other what is sold at Worstbuy.....  So try before you buy is out....  What is the HE-500 equivalent (value and sound quality in IEMS?)

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 5
I was actually very interested in the W4's... there are quite a few threads on here bashing the beans out of them.. which has given me pause...  They are 280 on amazon regular version and 375 detachable.... thoughts on if the detachables are worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back