Next Astell&Kern: AK480 (and AK500n's successor) wish list & rumors...
Jan 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

bmichels

Headphoneus Supremus
This april fool published almost 3 years ago might becomes reality very soon now
wink.gif
   At least for the specs...

So, let's start a thread of wish list & rumors for the next A&K TOL DAP. 

My guess is that it will be announced in May 2017 at the Munich's High-End show. this will be 2 years after AK380 was announced (at Munich 2015)

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 48
And let's not forget the successor to the AK500n:  

I wish for a Book size version with a 8" OLED touch screen, 2 Tb SSD, Desktop class chips, XLR & 1/4" headphone out, XLR & RCA line out, MQA hardware decoding, TIDAL, Roon server... & no CD slot.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 48
  How about AK make the AK4xx just a Player/DAC (no headphone amp, just line out) with the very best digital components with m.2 SSD support and make the overall design a little thinner. Then offer a line of new amp modules ranging from basic all the way up to tube amps. Also add in a desktop amp module as well. Heck why not a bespoke amp service where you get the select the components and chassis...

brillant idea;

And as @bmichels suggested in another thread, why not also skipping the DAC part from the player to just have an Uber TOL digital source (USB & Optical out only) to use with a DAC/AMP like a HUGO2 or a WA8 ?

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 48

brillant idea;

And as @bmichels suggested in another thread, why not also skipping the DAC part from the player to just have an Uber TOL digital source (USB & Optical out only) to use with a DAC/AMP like a HUGO2 or a WA8 ?

Good luck trying to sell a "non-standalone" DAP...

Essential feature= 6000$ pricetag so people are sure it will outperform the AK380, it's a minimum. It's how it works these days.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 48

Good luck trying to sell a "non-standalone" DAP...

well, this may make sense with so many people (at least us the geeks on Head-Fi) using their DAP attached to an external DAC/AMP to make a 2 pieces stack.... when it is not a 3 or 4 pieces stack ! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 48

well, this may make sense with so many people (at least us the geeks on Head-Fi) using their DAP attached to an external DAC/AMP to make a 2 pieces stack.... when it is not a 3 or 4 pieces stack ! 
biggrin.gif

Let me repeat clearly: I don't doubt that "hardcore" audiophiles enjoy transporting a triple-stack if necessary.
But a DAP that can't be used standalone is not a DAP, that should be obvious. It's not a question of SQ, it's just pure usability.
What you describe is merely a transport unit.

For the price of a flagship, skipping on essentials is not an option.
I sure hope that no one should have to spend 3000+$ for a mere transport...

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 48
Well I sure hope AK will implement the new AKM dac 4497 and an improved amp section, otherwise it is no upgrade. With the hires going up to 32big/768 khz and quad DSD, some of these files can be as large as 1 Gb per song, I really hope AK will up the internal memory to at least 512gb or better yet 1TB SSD. I also like the 4.4 mm balance out socket.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 48
Well I sure hope AK will implement the new AKM dac 4497 and an improved amp section, otherwise it is no upgrade. With the hires going up to 32big/768 khz and quad DSD, some of these files can be as large as 1 Gb per song, I really hope AK will up the internal memory to at least 512gb or better yet 1TB SSD. I also like the 4.4 mm balance out socket.

Yes, the 4,4mm is much more robust than the 2,5mm, but there is NO hopes that A&K will abandon this 2,5mm "standard" that they have created...
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 48
Any rumors et CanJam NY on the successors to Astel&Kern AK380 & AK500n ?

May be sharing some beers with A&K reps will help... :beerchug:.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 48
No chance they implement Sony's 4.4mm That would be counter to their co collaboration with the JH Audio UIEM line. I wouldn't mind seeing more output power out their amp section and a better balanced implementation, like Sony did rather than a ribbon.
The AK4497 would be nice, more internal storage and a better wifi card.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 48
I think it should be called BYOA
BRING YOUR OWN AMP

there are so many good amps on the market that are far superior than the AK player amps
why not have a DAP that has line out and usb out

WISH LIST for my DAP
- line out
- usb out
- sd card slot
- no screen  IOS interface

note the new CHORD Poly is way to huge for my pocket

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 48
Time to resurect this thread, 1 month from Munich's 2017 HighEnd where the AK480 might be announced...
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 48
Wish list:

Well this is a good time to start the game of speculating the next Totl AK dap and see who gets it right the most.

1. It will be announce next month at the Munich Audio Fest.
2. It will have two AKM 4497 Dac
3. It will be slightly bigger as they have no choice but to up the amp section to keep up with the competitors
4. They may have two memory slots like the Kann

Agree with all above 4 plus:  1 Tb SSD,   5,5" OLED,  USB-C,  dedicated line-out,  TIDAL & MQA hardware decoding and... agree also on Extended battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back