NEWS: Sony Asia Pacific announces 11 new balanced armature in-ear headphone models
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #138 of 171
They'll be here on November. And i'll probably purchase one of those since I'm iem-less at the moment.

According to one of the latest reports on AV Watch Impress japanese articles, the XBA 1/2/3/4 has being postponed definitely to December 10th, instead of November 10th as previously reported. I'm quite sure that this news affects the retail distribution not only in Japan, but also for countries located in Asia or outside of Asia as well due to the recent Thailand flood crisis.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #139 of 171
NoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Another wait!

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #141 of 171

Quote:
According to one of the latest reports on AV Watch Impress japanese articles, the XBA 1/2/3/4 has being postponed definitely to December 10th, instead of November 10th as previously reported. I'm quite sure that this news affects the retail distribution not only in Japan, but also for countries located in Asia or outside of Asia as well due to the recent Thailand flood crisis.

That's sad. :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #143 of 171
Edit: I realized this post was my 777th, it better bring Sony some luck!! I might have to stop posting for a while :wink:

x-post from the impressions thread of Tokyo 2011 Fall Headphone Festival ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/577893/tokyo-japan-meet-at-the-fujiyaavic-2011-autumn-headphone-impressions/15#post_7857306 ):   

Sony - new Balanced Armatures i.e.m's: 
Really, I didn't expect anything here either (info here:               Sony Balanced Armature       ). It just happened that one Sony staff managed to get me to try a unit. If I understood right, I actually talked to one of the engineers behind the new BA products (Tsunoda-san), which I found was really cool as I thought Sony was just sending "sales" staff to the booth. Even more cool is the fact that Tsunoda-san knew about head-fi and asked me where I "bought my head-fi t-shirt" :wink:. Jude, you'll need to send Tsunoda-san a t-shirt I think :wink:.

I first listened to the 2 driver unit (XBA-2SL, JPY18,375 MSRP) and found it very smooth but maybe a bit rolled off. Midrange and bass were very clean and well balanced. I found it very natural sounding and close to my ideal for iem sound. I then listened to the 3 driver unit (XBA-3SL, JPY24,675 MSRP). The feeling of treble roll-off was replaced by something very extended up top with lots of sparkle. It maybe a little bit forward in the high treble range but I didn't have enough time to clarify. The comfort was good. I have tiny ear canal and the smallest tip ensured a proper seal without hurting. Would need to see after couple of hours but initial feeling was good.

I'll have to spend more time with it to reserve judgement, but I have a feeling the XBA-3SL will be replacing my shure SE-315 in the near future. Actually, this may sound crazy but this is the item I liked the most with the V-Moda M-80 from all the things I sampled at the show (I liked it better than JH Audio 13's but this is likely due to a sealing problem with the non-custom demo). I have a suspicion this new BA line from Sony is going to make a serious dent in the competition at and above its price range. Sony has the resources to make good products and they are big enough a company to be able to price it aggressively. So, this is all a very good news for us headphone enthusiasts!!  

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #144 of 171

41h6p%2BPmYXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41h6p%2BPmYXL._SL75_AA30_.jpg

SONY 密閉型インナーイヤーレシーバー XBA-3IP XBA-3IP

by ソニー
Like 1320411887 false 0 0 0 0 (0)

List Price: ¥ 25,935
Price: [size=small]¥ 18,907 [/size]& eligible for Free Shipping. Details
You Save: ¥ 7,028 (27%)
  「予約商品の価格保証」対象商品。 Learn more.
  o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This item will be released on November 10, 2011. Click here for details of availability.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.co.jp. Gift-wrap available.

[size=xx-small]2 new[/size][size=xx-small] from ¥ 18,907[/size]

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #145 of 171

Quote:

41h6p%2BPmYXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41h6p%2BPmYXL._SL75_AA30_.jpg

SONY 密閉型インナーイヤーレシーバー XBA-3IP XBA-3IP

by ソニー
Like 1320411887 false 0 0 0 0 (0)

List Price: ¥ 25,935
Price: [size=small]¥ 18,907 [/size]& eligible for Free Shipping. Details
You Save: ¥ 7,028 (27%)
  「予約商品の価格保証」対象商品。 Learn more.
  o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This item will be released on November 10, 2011. Click here for details of availability.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.co.jp. Gift-wrap available.

[size=xx-small]2 new[/size][size=xx-small] from ¥ 18,907[/size]

You're all stoked and want to scream you finally have these don't you lol?

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #147 of 171

quoted from Mkubota1 

​

​
 ​
The Sony BA Premium  Headphones.  For me, these stole the show.  I am up to my ears (no pun) in BA IEMs, and while I like each of the ones that I have for their own sound, I promised myself that I would not get anymore of the BA kind (dynamics are still fair game).  But these made the exception.  Of the four models on hand, I liked the XBA-3sl the most, with the 4sl a reasonably close second.  Here are my notes from the 3sl:  "wow.  Sweet highs!  Nice bottom end.  A bit of a v-shaped curve.  Really smooth upper area though.  Bass is pretty big (fat) for a BA.  Wow.  I have a prediction that this will be a very popular IEM.  My god this is one sweet smooth sounding IEM!  2nd listen... still shaking my head.  Freq separation and clairty.  Man."  And when I was listening to them, I actually was shaking my head.​
 ​
 ​
And at a show like this, of course you would meet the lead designer of the line.  His business card says:​
 ​
Naotaka Tsunoda
Sony MVP 2004​
Distinguished Engineer Dept No. 1​
Personal Entertainment Division​
 ​
If you Google his name, you will find that he hold multiple patents.  I had the honor of having a brief conversation with him, and he pointed to the gentleman on his right as being the lead engineer of the design team.  How cool is that?  Other Head-Fiers in the group were similarly impressed with the 3sl and 4sl.  Some of my notes from the other models:  4sl  "warmer and more forward mids from the 3.  Like a W4 (Westone) with more balls.  This has an exotic sound to it.  The highs are similar to the 3s but a little hidden by the midrange- not in a bad way.  I'm shaking my head listening to these.  It has a slightly dark character to it.  I prefer the 3 for now, but this is very nice too."  1sl  "same smooth overall character to upper models. Not the same level of sweetness or bass (of the 3), but still really nice.  Quite neutral.  Over-achiever."  2sl  "sort of the opposite character of the 1.  Big v shape.  Probably the most ordinary of the lineup."

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #148 of 171
V curved sound......3sl is becoming even more of a competitor to the Triple-fi's. Though, Triple-fi have the advantage of long-term mass production leading to a lower price. Especially if you camp it out to get the $99 version.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #150 of 171
Has anyone heard them at the Tokyo Headphone Festival? Just wondering though, it seems that review units have been sent out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back