News :: Luxman SQ-N100 Integrated Tube Amplifier
May 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to threadcrap, as beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder, but visually it looks like about as plain a rectangle with a couple of other rectangles sticking up out of it as one could imagine. I'm not looking for geegaws, mind you, but this appears to be the absence of design. Amps from SP, Woo, Darkvoice, and especially Glow and Cayin, are all much more visually appealing. To me, anyway. Still, if anyone would like to buy me one, I won't kick it out of my system for being unassuming...

Tim

The WOO Amps are indeed beautiful like the Luxman however the Single Power, and dark Voice to my Eye are nothing more than your standard Tube amp on a standard sheet metal chassis with an Extruded front Panel attached and the Cayin looks more to be a PC than an Audio component

May 11, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 36
Any insight into the innards of this amp (tube selection, design, headphone amp)? Is she beautiful all the way through? :)

May 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WOO Amps are indeed beautiful like the Luxman however the Single Power, and dark Voice to my Eye are nothing more than your standard Tube amp on a standard sheet metal chassis with an Extruded front Panel attached and the Cayin looks more to be a PC than an Audio component

Other than the fluting on the transformer covers, there really isn't mucn that sets the Woos apart visiually. With them, as well as the DVs and SPs, I think it's the dark, glossy finish, the lettering, the subtle rounded edges. That Luxman just struck me as exceedingly plain. Oh well, different strokes.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 36
I spent a little time with this the other weekend. Some audio stores here are carrying them and have them on display with the matching CDP plus speakers. I was a little less excited about the appearance after seeing it in person. I couldnt put my finger on it until I got home and saw another picture. I thought it was white from some of the pictures I saw. It is not, it is a kind of textured silver, not reflective. Nice looking but I decided it would be much nicer in white.

The loud showroom was not a good place for good listening but sound through the speakers did sound very nice... kind of similar to a W5000. I managed to get some SE530s and RS1s plugged into the headphone jack but just not a great way to get a good listening experience. I would love to use this as my office amp for K1000s and my Grados but just not sure yet...

I also came across the Leben CS300 which did knock my socks off appearance. What a cool looking amp.

May 19, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a little time with this the other weekend. Some audio stores here are carrying them and have them on display with the matching CDP plus speakers. I was a little less excited about the appearance after seeing it in person. I couldnt put my finger on it until I got home and saw another picture. I thought it was white from some of the pictures I saw. It is not, it is a kind of textured silver, not reflective. Nice looking but I decided it would be much nicer in white.

The loud showroom was not a good place for good listening but sound through the speakers did sound very nice... kind of similar to a W5000. I managed to get some SE530s and RS1s plugged into the headphone jack but just not a great way to get a good listening experience. I would love to use this as my office amp for K1000s and my Grados but just not sure yet...

I also came across the Leben CS300 which did knock my socks off appearance. What a cool looking amp.

Please do tell what price...
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do tell what price...
biggrin.gif

Luxman: around $1,500 US
Leben: around $1,300 US

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 36
So has anyone been lucky enough to try out the headphone stage of the Luxman integrated?

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #24 of 36
If this amp is half as good as their P-1 headphone amp, then it will sound marvelous.
Fit, finish and sound output is nothing short of spectacular.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this amp is half as good as their P-1 headphone amp, then it will sound marvelous.
Fit, finish and sound output is nothing short of spectacular.

It would be most interesting to read a comparative review of the two Luxman offerings.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 36
I love the Luxman solid state, and I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't sound good. Although, as a headphone amp, I wonder how good the headphone out is... didn't mention that it is directly coupled to the output transformers, which is crucial for integrated amps doubling as headphone amps. I have a Leben CS600, btw, and it rocks, both as integrated amp & headphone amp. And gotta say, the Leben aesthetic is just knock-out gorgeous...
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 36
It was specifically because I've found myself hunkering for a Leben that I wondered about the Luxman integrated.
That said, I prefer the looks of the Luxman to the Leben.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #29 of 36
I was looking at both the Leben CS300 and Luxman and ended up quite happily with the Leben. I love the retro look.

Here is another new Luxman beauty.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is another new Luxman beauty.

Your link says it can only be used in Japan with no image.

Can you copy the image into your post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back