[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #706 of 1,082

Quote:

But I am still not sure if a multi driver can be tuned to sound better than the best single drivers...

This is my opinion on the driver number subject: an IEM with m number of drivers can be tuned to sound better than an IEM with n number of drivers, but an IEM with n number of drivers can be tuned to sound better than an IEM with m number of drivers such that m != n (one is greater than the other).  Essentially, I'm saying that driver count means little in terms of SQ.  Either can be tuned to sound better than the other in my opinion.  I'm sure many will disagree with me here though. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #707 of 1,082

Quote:
I have not heard the IE80.  I will comment on the 232s though.  The worst thing about them is the clarity, I won't lie, I wish they had slightly more clarity in the midrange.  It's enough to uncover all the details though, it's mainly the lower-mids that lose clarity but are still there.  The bass is definitely hard hitting and will give you the texture and impact you are looking for though in those dance songs.  If it still isn't enough, you can EQ or play with filters though (reference is the grey filter).  I'd wait until someone with both the IE80 and 232s comes and gives you a conclusive answer (232s should be capable though).

As for EQing the bass all the way up, IDK how these will handle it.  I have a horrid EQ to use on my iPod :p  And the DAC in the laptop is worse than that in the iPod :frowning2:

Thank you for your response, I'm not saying I will necessarily crank bass eq up to max. I'm just wondering if these will put out the desired bass response and I'm willing to mess with eq to make this happen if necessary. As long as they are able to put out bass to rival the ie 80s, that's what I'm looking for.

I hate to describe myself as a basshead, but when it comes to dance music I really am. I wouldn't want an iem that's only good for bass though due to my diverse music collection.

Basically, I want the best quality universal for under $800. I'm looking for truly high quality audio that can provide hard hitting bass when I need it. Someone pointed my toward these iems so I'm basically looking for all the feedback I can get to make the right decision.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions, I'll definitely check then out.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #708 of 1,082

Quote:
Thank you for your response, I'm not saying I will necessarily crank bass eq up to max. I'm just wondering if these will put out the desired bass response and I'm willing to mess with eq to make this happen if necessary. As long as they are able to put out bass to rival the ie 80s, that's what I'm looking for.

I hate to describe myself as a basshead, but when it comes to dance music I really am. I wouldn't want an iem that's only good for bass though due to my diverse music collection.

Basically, I want the best quality universal for under $800. I'm looking for truly high quality audio that can provide hard hitting bass when I need it. Someone pointed my toward these iems so I'm basically looking for all the feedback I can get to make the right decision.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions, I'll definitely check then out.

OK, gotcha.  For bass-head quality, green filters may suit you, it's too veiled for my tastes though, but does a great job with quality still.  Again, no comparisons to IE80.  Also, if you're going up to 800 bucks, I'd also wait for the IE800s before making any hasteful decisions :)

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #709 of 1,082

Quote:
OK, gotcha.  For bass-head quality, green filters may suit you, it's too veiled for my tastes though, but does a great job with quality still.  Again, no comparisons to IE80.  Also, if you're going up to 800 bucks, I'd also wait for the IE800s before making any hasteful decisions :)

Good advice, but I'm getting the impression that the 800s are more hype than value. I'm sure they will be great iems, but find it hard to believe they will live up to that price tag. My initial impressions of it aren't great, it looks as though it has poor isolation and no removable cable is also a big turn off. I've always found Sennheiser's products a bit overpriced (retail). The reason I was looking at the 80s is that I found a great deal from an authorized seller.

Honestly though, I would rather spend my money on something that I know will perform. That's why I'm trying to explore all of the options within my price range.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #710 of 1,082

Quote:
Good advice, but I'm getting the impression that the 800s are more hype than value. I'm sure they will be great iems, but find it hard to believe they will live up to that price tag. My initial impressions of it aren't great, it looks as though it has poor isolation and no removable cable is also a big turn off. I've always found Sennheiser's products a bit overpriced (retail). The reason I was looking at the 80s is that I found a great deal from an authorized seller.

Honestly though, I would rather spend my money on something that I know will perform. That's why I'm trying to explore all of the options within my price range.

You won't know how well it performs until its released.  Everything stated about it so far (from an audio standpoint) is 100% speculation.  Please don't be the next one to jump the gun and get disqualified. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #711 of 1,082

Quote:
You won't know how well it performs until its released.  Everything stated about it so far (from an audio standpoint) is 100% speculation.  Please don't be the next one to jump the gun and get disqualified. 

That's not me. I'm just not trying to put all of my eggs in one basket. A basket that I won't have any direct access to for at least 2 months. 

I tend to take a critical approach toward new products, because a lot of people get caught up in the hype and lose focus of the important qualities. The only observations I made were about the isolation, which from the pictures does not look good (it appears that it will have a more shallow fit than the 8s and 80s) and the fact that it has no removable cable which has been confirmed by Sennheiser. These issues are turn offs for me, especially for an iem with an $800 price tag. That doesn't mean I will dismiss the 800s as an option. I fully intend to wait till their release and extensive review before I make a final decision.

That being said, I have a lot of time in the interim to look at other products. If I absolutely fall in love with something, I might not wait to purchase. However, most likely I will just research and pick 1-2 that I'm interested in for comparison against the 800s.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #712 of 1,082

Quote:

If you haven't tried single driver PFEs yet, then you definitely need to do so. I find them superior overall to my previous favorite the UE600/Super.fi 5 and perhaps the most all around technically impressive and enjoyable IEM I ever heard, especially when paired with my HM-601.

Quote:
Personally, I am also in the minority and do not like Phonak PFEs. Yes, they are very clear and very extended, especially when amped. The sound is also quite spacious for a single driver IEM. I don't have a problem with them sounding thin either. However, I feel that the PFEs are seriousily lacking two things for them to be high-end or even solid mid level IEMs: 1. tonal accuracy; 2. micro detail. First of all, I feel that PFEs do not really sound accurate in the sense that their tonality is a bit off. In particular, I feel that they sound unnaturally lively, especially for "serious" music, such as jazz, instrumental, classical and stuff like that. Apart from sounding tonally off, the PFEs also lack micro detail and by that I mean all the little reverberations and overtones naturally present in any recording. This makes them sound quite schematic. In this respect, they remind me somewhat of Yuin PK2s, which also lack micro details. However, unlike the PFEs, PK2s don't try to sound all fun and "happy" - they are more realistic and tonally accurate. PK2s don't make beautiful, complex instrumental music sound like children's music. PFE's coloration and lack of micro details, on the other hand, make some of my favorite instrumental and jazz recordings sound like they were recorded using cheap computer samples.

Now, I am not saying that PFE's are bad. No, technically they are not bad at all, especially for the price. They got great extension both high and low, great clarity, great balance of mids, highs and lows when amped and excellent ergonomics with a very comfy fit. And they do work very well for some of the poorly recorded modern pop, rap and dance where the overtones in the recordings don't add anything to listening experience anyways and where tonal accuracy is of little importance. However, for listening to serious music seriousily - to be able to hear all the emotions, all the atmosphere than the music carries the way the artist meant them to be heard - I believe that there are much better options out there for a similar price or a bit more. Q-jays come to mind right away - very detailed and accurate sounding IEMs. Sleek SA6 can also be found for around $150 sometimes, especially used and I also find it to be much better than PFEs for tonal accuracy and revealing micro detail. Even UE Super.fi 5 Pros are better IMO. They are not really accurate, they have coloration, but at least they let you hear all the details.

Of course, this is all just my very subjective, personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If something sounds good to you, then it's good.
smile.gif

P.S. Perhaps, I wasn't getting a good fit with the PFEs, but that is unlikely because I hear the deep bass and the sound was sufficiently full. Oh and sorry if my description of the flaws wasn't very clear and technically accurate - I kinda wrote this in a rush and I am also not that good at describing sound in detail. Hopefully, you'll understand what I am getting at though.

Oh, how times have changed...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #713 of 1,082
Anyone using the 232s with a high end DAP? I have them paired with an Altmann Tera player and it brings out everything I like about them - refinement, delicateness, fun factor. They're wonderful paired with a top notch source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back