1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha

Discussion in 'Head-Fi Network & Industry News' started by joe, Feb 14, 2013.
First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last
  1. Deltaechoe
    I completely lost it when I saw the Dr who ad, only thing I could think of was both of those headphones are probably more destructive (to your ears) than a sonic screwdriver (to machines)

2. Hutnicks
    Quote:

Yes, but I bet they'd look cool on a Sontaran:)

3. DefQon
    These two companies still going at it?

4. Tsujigiri
    I'm curious about this, too. This could turn into a very long legal battle...

5. Hutnicks
    Quote:

No news, good news?

There does not seem to be any update since Feb 13. I do notice that links to the claim itself have disappeared from several articles I had bookmarked.

6. barleyguy
    Quote:
    Trademark infringement you mean.

Copyrights, Patents, and Trademarks are all different things, with different laws.  Mixing them up just perpetuates that confusion.

I think Beats has an uphill battle on this one from a legal perspective.  To uphold a patent on the shape of a headphone they have to prove that there's no "prior art", as in the shape they chose is unique.  They can only win on trademark infringement if Yamaha is using their name, or their product is truly likely to be confused by a reasonable consumer with the real thing.

7. GREQ
    Quote:
    I actually didn't mix anything up - I simply don't know anything about any of that stuff. [​IMG]

8. bcschmerker4
    Quote:
    I concur on this sentiment.  Dr. Dre Beats v. Yamaha Corporation looks heavily tilted in Defendant's favor, as Dre's design-patent evidence is sketchy; earlier posts noted that several manufacturers' headsets fold in a manner consistent with Shure Incorporated's entry-level SRH series headsets, which need portability for use by audio engineers in the field.  On the other hand, British Broadcasting Corporation v. Yamaha Corporation et al. could be open and shut in the BBC's favor, as the PRO 500 magazine advertisement ("Dr....who?") is clearly stepping on the toes of BBC scriptwriters involved in the ongoing sci-fi drama Doctor Who.

9. droido256
    Lol I was at frys checking out some AKGs for a buddy of mine, and a coworker I noticed was rambling on to his friend about the beats hahahaha I literally dragged him to the Yamaha display and slapped a pair of the 400s on him. Heheheheheh the look on his face was priceless. And he walked out with a pair.

10. bcschmerker4
    Quote:

¡GOL! [​IMG] More to headsets than meets the eye, after all; with so many budget headsets in similar frames, one needs his ears to pick a winner, something Yamaha® and worthy competitors look for.

11. droido256
    I have half my family and close friends converted to AKG, my aunt poor thing, thought skull candy headphones were "the best" I facepalmed and let her try my K701 (a rare honor I might add) only one other but her and I have even touched them.
    She went for the K412, still has them.

12. Anewills
    Quote:

Honestly, from a business stand-point, more power to Beats if they can sell a cheap looking product off as if people "need it."  They're after one thing. Profits.  Mission accomplished. 

13. GREQ
    Quote:
    I agree with your point, but I don't agree with what beats are doing. 
    They've done just as much good for the popularization of headphones and portable sound as the bad they have done to damage peoples understanding of what 'good sound' is and the distorted POV of what 'the artist wants you to hear'.

14. Anewills
    Quote:

Good sound is subjective though.  For a lot of types of what people call "music," ridiculous amounts of bass are what they're after.  Some people judge sound quality based on amounts of bass.  I didn't put this together to recently, and reputable companies wouldn't sell-out and ruin their name to make money.  But, most people don't do their research and are completely misinformed.  So all these quality audio companies are after that limited market of people who do the research.  Beats clearly has tapped into the other "majority," market, and they're making a killing off it. Once again, mission accomplished for them.

15. Hutnicks
    Quote:

I think they call that "Cerwin Vega" syndrome:)

First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last