NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #211 of 493
Normally, I love taking the side of the other guys whenever Beats sues someone but Yamaha was asking for it with that clear rip off and marketing design.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #214 of 493
Quote:

IMO, much bigger difference between Soul/Beats compared to Yamaha/Beats.  Some obvious differences include starkly different color choices, quilted padding under headband and cup design.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #215 of 493
Quote:

That's the problem when dealing with that kind of design (pivoting sleek drivers on the band). Unless they do something substancial they are pretty much alike (like Denon's new flagship).

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #216 of 493
Quote:
This happen when people cares more of the appearance than the sound :frowning2:
I guess when they sound the same, using same driver, but difference appearance, no one will care to file a lawsuit... :wink:

lol using the same driver but different appearance and slightly different tuning?

imagine how that will turn out with the actual OEM of most products being some unknown OEM in China. then all the rights should go to these unknown OEMs? 

the world is a scary place if you look/trace things down to their roots/source and the "objectivity" that is practised on the surface in society. but this isnt a thread to discuss that, so.. :) 

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #217 of 493
Quote:
I had a quick listen at B&H Photo and I thought they sounded nice. My reference headphones are the V-Moda M-100s and I thought the clarity was comparable with the M-100s having an edge in detail retrieval. The 500s have a mid-bass hump, which is not surprising given their aesthetics, and the bass has plenty of slam although it's not as tight or controlled as the M-100s, but bass is definitely the defining sound frequency. The mids were forward and more pronounced than the M-100, which have been criticized for having a "laid-back" or "recessed" midrange. The last thing I'm going to comment on is its soundstage which is on par for closed circumaurals. It is noticeably not as wide was the M-100 and more of a "in your head" kind of feel.

This is just from a quick listen and I only used one song so take this with a grain of salt.

interesting of yamaha to be able to tune a punchier bass than the m100 and yet still retain a more forward mid than the m100.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #218 of 493
I doubt that we will be able to come to any reasonable answer to this dispute. We are a niche of higly informed users with high expentancy of the products we purchase.

Beats are Yamahas are not directed towards this sort of crowd, but to a crowd that buys based on impulses (80% of the human population).

This is why we are "the lucky ones", when it comes to sound, as we get our moneys worth.

Lucky for me, im the same in Computers, and my main passion is gaming/music.

Unfortunatelly, this means normal people who want to not get scammed (i belive selling a cheap overpriced product is a form of scam), a decent amount of information has to be gathered before any purchase.

This is ..... bs...

This is for example, something i belive is happening also with the gaming industry almost since 2009.
From times of crysis, dead space 1 , witcher 1 and gears of war, to call of duty-like games.

Seems like people have such a huge need to spend their money, that no matter what they are offered they will buy it.

Well, i better stop here cus im going off-topic with something that simply pisses me off.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #219 of 493
Quote:

interesting of yamaha to be able to tune a punchier bass than the m100 and yet still retain a more forward mid than the m100.

It could be my source. My M-80s do the same thing. There seems to be more mid-bass "slam" on the M-80s, yet the bass doesn't extend as deep as the M-100s or is as detailed or controlled. I went back yesterday and had a bit more time to play with the Pro 500s and they have a similar sound signature to the M-100s. I was wrong about the sound stage. They are actually on par with one another. For now I say they are like M-100s with more mid-bass, more pronounced mids, and with less comfortable earcups.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #220 of 493
Quote:
It could be my source. My M-80s do the same thing. There seems to be more mid-bass "slam" on the M-80s, yet the bass doesn't extend as deep as the M-100s or is as detailed or controlled. I went back yesterday and had a bit more time to play with the Pro 500s and they have a similar sound signature to the M-100s. I was wrong about the sound stage. They are actually on par with one another. For now I say they are like M-100s with more mid-bass, more pronounced mids, and with less comfortable earcups.

These are some interesting tradeoffs.  Since sound comparisons might be off topic here but are very interesting, would you mind posting on the M-100 and/or PRO 500 threads?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #221 of 493
Quote:

sounds like a total upgrade over the M-100s.

i dont have much experience with forward mids having own only a handful of IEMs but 1 issue i had with forward mids in a recent IEM i purchased.

i noticed that forward mids give me more intimacy as vocals are nearer but it also limits the amount of volume i can increase, quite significantly and seems to fatigue listening more easier especially if i am listening over a couple of hours continuously even if i am already listening at low volumes. not sure if this is a universal encounter with others too.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #222 of 493
Quote:
I doubt that we will be able to come to any reasonable answer to this dispute. We are a niche of higly informed users with high expentancy of the products we purchase.

Beats are Yamahas are not directed towards this sort of crowd, but to a crowd that buys based on impulses (80% of the human population).

This is why we are "the lucky ones", when it comes to sound, as we get our moneys worth.

Lucky for me, im the same in Computers, and my main passion is gaming/music.

Unfortunatelly, this means normal people who want to not get scammed (i belive selling a cheap overpriced product is a form of scam), a decent amount of information has to be gathered before any purchase.

This is ..... bs...

This is for example, something i belive is happening also with the gaming industry almost since 2009.
From times of crysis, dead space 1 , witcher 1 and gears of war, to call of duty-like games.

Seems like people have such a huge need to spend their money, that no matter what they are offered they will buy it.

Well, i better stop here cus im going off-topic with something that simply pisses me off.

Preach it brother! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #223 of 493
Quote:
From the moment I saw these headphones I thought the design of these headphones was a complete rip off of Beats and seriously wondered why they would even consider this design. I don't even like the flashy, cheap design of Monster headphones in the first place. I respect Yamaha as an audio company, but targeting a consumer market in this way is pathetic 
rolleyes.gif
. Then I saw this, and now I'm not sure what to think...

...while it is hilarious, they made it clear that they are copying the design and are probably going to be forced to pay a reasonable fine. Then again, a ton of other companies have copied this exact design and Monster took no legal action. I think that Monster are afraid of Yamaha having superior sonic quality to their headphones and don't want them intruding on the Beats sales.

Monster and Beats aren't business partners anymore, this is Dre's own company know.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #224 of 493
IMO, Beats are way more similar to Shure's, than the Yamaha's to Beats.

Earlier in the thread, I posted this, but you probably didn't see it. Beats was out with the Studio (in 2008) before Shure had released any of its SRH over-ears (in 2009). Of course, I'm not suggesting that Shure copied Beats, or vice-versa--only that it seems unlikely Beats copied Shure, per those dates.

Actually, these (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH240A-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B002DP594W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361579755&sr=8-5&keywords=shure+srh+440) came out in 2004.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #225 of 493
Quote:
Actually, these (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH240A-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B002DP594W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361579755&sr=8-5&keywords=shure+srh+440) came out in 2004.

JuanseAmador, I know that it says that in the Amazon entry, in the "Date first available at Amazon.com" field, but that date looks like an error to me. If you look at the date of the first review for that product on Amazon, it's in 2009. And the first post anywhere revealing pricing of the SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 was on April 20, 2009, on Head-Fi--I know because I made that post (and I remember because I announced it a day before the prices were announced by Shure at NAB that year).

Here's Shure's press release on one of the wires, dated July 20, 2009...

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/shure/39209/

...and the release on Shure's website...

http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/press-releases/new-srh-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back