NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
May 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #109 of 303
Apple’s Beats Deal Is Happening, And It’s A Dre Acquihire

A well-placed source has confirmed rumors that Apple’s acquisition of Beats “is happening” but was close to falling apart multiple times. The source said with “70% certainty” that Apple’s planned multi-billion acquisition of headphone maker Beats will go through. But Apple isn’t buying Beats for the technology, they’re buying the talent.

Oh great now laying odds . . . . .70% probability
popcorn.gif

Rumors in Asia also point to previous moves by Samsung to buy the Beats brand, a deal that fell through “earlier in the year.”
Apple’s efforts, it seems, will bear more fruit. “The deal hasn’t fallen apart yet,” the source said.

Interesting about the Samsung tidbit, because that's would have been a perfect build quality marriage!   (I'm joking)

May 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #110 of 303
Quote:
A well-placed source has confirmed rumors that Apple’s acquisition of Beats “is happening” but was close to falling apart multiple times. The source said with “70% certainty” that Apple’s planned multi-billion acquisition of headphone maker Beats will go through. But Apple isn’t buying Beats for the technology, they’re buying the talent.

What talent? 
deadhorse.gif

May 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #111 of 303
  Quote:

What talent? 
deadhorse.gif

I think they're buying Beats because of Jimmy Iovine, who is one of the larger names in the musci industry. With him at Apple's disposal, he could have lots of record producers talked into releasing their albums on iTunes first (which should more than bump up sales).

May 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #112 of 303
  I think they're buying Beats because of Jimmy Iovine, who is one of the larger names in the musci industry. With him at Apple's disposal, he could have lots of record producers talked into releasing their albums on iTunes first (which should more than bump up sales).

That's buying connections. Apple already has enough connections due to iTunes and reputation due to the sales volume of iTunes. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal fell through.

May 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #113 of 303
From The Verge -
The most likely [cause of delay] seems to simply be that it's complicated to make a $3.2 billion acquisition — Apple's largest ever and the first major deal under CEO Tim Cook — and perhaps word of the purchase leaked out far earlier than expected. Billboard also notes that the Beats Music streaming service is a separate business unit only partly owned by Beats Electronics, and if the unlimited-access music service is key to Apple's interest, there could be a disagreement over the purchase price. One source tells the music industry magazine that there are also concerns over whether Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre are a good fit as Apple executives. Especially after Dr. Dre's expletive-filled celebration of the news that was posted on Facebook and subsequently seen by thousands online. No matter what's holding up a deal, we should find out soon whether Apple still intends to purchase the headphone empire.

May 26, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #114 of 303
Ah well. Call me back when an actual audiophile grade company gets bought out.

May 26, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #116 of 303
  Ah well. Call me back when an actual audiophile grade company gets bought out.

this is actually a big deal, the biggest headphone company being bought out by one of the biggest PC sales companies in the US, what that means is tons of ppl are going to need hardware to start decoding all of that new high res we might be getting from apple, I think as soon as Apple starts selling Hi Res... that's the instant the big companies are going to start pushing into the market that Apple is trying to command. cans like the new LCD X and AKG K812 demonstrate that, these easy to drive headphones paired with what could be a forward movement on apple part to start selling high res, will ultimatly land more average users here at head fi looking to get the best out of their high res music 

May 26, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #117 of 303
  this is actually a big deal, the biggest headphone company being bought out by one of the biggest PC sales companies in the US, what that means is tons of ppl are going to need hardware to start decoding all of that new high res we might be getting from apple, I think as soon as Apple starts selling Hi Res... that's the instant the big companies are going to start pushing into the market that Apple is trying to command. cans like the new LCD X and AKG K812 demonstrate that, these easy to drive headphones paired with what could be a forward movement on apple part to start selling high res, will ultimatly land more average users here at head fi looking to get the best out of their high res music 

That actually sounds pretty good.

Was just stating because I could care less about Beats being bought out. Bu the possibility you mention does sound enticing. For as long as it is accessible.

May 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #118 of 303
This hi res thing is just a marketing ploy. They all know no one will be able to hear the difference from the cheap headphones on the market today. But people will believe they can hear a difference through placebo effect. Anything they can do to separate themselves from competition. Just like the beyond 20kHz rating you get on many headphones. I just hope hi res doesn't mean they add bass to the mastering of songs to actually provide a difference, but that would not surprise me at all.

May 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #119 of 303
This hi res thing is just a marketing ploy. They all know no one will be able to hear the difference from the cheap headphones on the market today. But people will believe they can hear a difference through placebo effect. Anything they can do to separate themselves from competition. Just like the beyond 20kHz rating you get on many headphones. I just hope hi res doesn't mean they add bass to the mastering of songs to actually provide a difference, but that would not surprise me at all.

Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully, it results in better audio available on a wider scale.

Me personally? I'll just wait and see. Am pretty indifferent to this.

May 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #120 of 303

Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully, it results in better audio available on a wider scale.

Me personally? I'll just wait and see. Am pretty indifferent to this.

I agree with Sonido that it's mostly a marketing ploy, but when one of the biggest portable media device corps in the world beings a push to high res, the whole audiophile market stands to benifit 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back