Newest Member of team Eggo!!
Mar 6, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 26
I was wondering the same thing.
-Mag

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 26
Anyway, congrats Achtunghoy, I assume you got the D66s...I hope you like them, they're good portable 'phones, but that's about it unfortunately, since lots of 'phones in the same range sound better
frown.gif
600smile.gif

Have fun
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Scholarlymonk
what about sony v6 or the grados.
i don's nessesarily need to spend twice as much,
just something new and diffrent.

Scholarlymonk: Cool nick
smily_headphones1.gif
I had owned the Eggos at one point. I didn't keep them for long. I still own the V6s and SR80s. I would characterize the V6s as an Eggo sound on steroids. The bass goes deeper, and the overall sound is more impactful. Granted, the highs are somewhat harsh, but I actually like the combination of the presence of the upper mids and deep, extended bass for electronica. I have the Grado SR80s too, and actually prefer the Grados to the Eggos as well. I sold the Eggos because I found them a little thin sounding compared with both SR80s as well as V6s. The SR80s sound less harsh in the treble compared with the V6s (although they're still bright compared with the SR225s). The bass doesn't extend nearly as deep on the Grados.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 26
Welcome to the team!
eggosmile.gif

Actually, I prefer the Eggos to the A900 regardless of application! No I'm not kidding--the A900s have more present bass (although not by a whole lot) but the eggos beat them in transparency, soundstage and have a better tonal character (a little warmer) IMO. And to my ears the D66 Eggos beat the V6 and sr80 (regardless of pads) hands down. IMO the only phone in the same price range that can hold a candle to the Eggos is the sr60 (with reversed bowl pads).

But everyone has different ears, so you should try many phones to see which work best for you. But if you desire a phone under $100 with great transparency and a soundstage as large as the HD600 or DT880 I'd point you toward the D66.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 26
I bet he was on dialup and downloading something at the same time.
It's a vBull fart, it happens a good bit when your connection is going really slow. It sends the title of the thread, but the connection times out before the actual post is sent.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 26
Okay...much technical weirdness going on....

Team Eggo rocks. I mean, most headphones jut look really funky and clunky, but the Eggo is unique to the point of being cool to my non-audiophile friends. They like the way it rests on their heads...a very comfortable phone. My only complaint is that I wish the Eggos didn't strangle you when you wear them about your neck.

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

the eggos beat them in transparency, soundstage and have a better tonal character (a little warmer) IMO

Your pair must be very nice, because mine sound terrible compared to the A500, which have a lot of bass, slightly too much, but...yeah. Whenever I listen to "classical" music with the Eggos, it is just unlistenable, they chop it up and throw it around, the strings are especially nasty, they just don't sound natural.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 26
I got my Eggos recently too =) Has anyone tried them with an er4p-4s converter? I'm having lots of fun with the combination, although I don't know if it necessarily sounds better. Very, very different!

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Your pair must be very nice, because mine sound terrible compared to the A500, which have a lot of bass, slightly too much, but...yeah. Whenever I listen to "classical" music with the Eggos, it is just unlistenable, they chop it up and throw it around, the strings are especially nasty, they just don't sound natural.

Perhaps you're just used to the (supposedly) bass heavy A500s.
wink.gif
I would not describe the A900s as bass heavy at all so I'm guessing that you might find them a little thin sounding in comparison.

And I love the eggos with classical. Perhaps they're a bit too forward for you--they really do put you right on stage, just like Grados, only with a larger soundstage. When I listen to classical on my D66 I love to pretend I'm conducting symphonies or standing on stage with opera singers as they belt out their songs. I listen to classical at least three hours a week with my Eggos and I've yet to find any other portable phone that sounds better for this purphose.

I know you don't think the D66 are all that great (we've had this arguement many times before
tongue.gif
) and that's cool but I certainly think the opposite.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back