Oct 3, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 10
Welcome,
broke.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Here be Dragons

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Welcome, selaphobia!

Ignore these other fools - pm me about how to go electrostatic from the beginning, and save yourself money in the long run by avoiding upgrades
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi guys, sorry about the 3 year old thread necrophilia, but I think just saying hello doesn't warrant a new thread. Anyway...

I've been doing a fair bit of searching around for information on headphones and audio gear, and your site and the sometimes objective views of some members has been a great resource.

I've always loved good music, yet I've never got around to treating myself to some high quality audio gear. I've always just listened to my iPod through, firstly, the crappy stock iPod earbuds, my DJ headphones (Technics RP DJ 1200), and through various slightly better buds than the stock iPod buds, usually when I'm on the go. Every time a good track came on, a little tear rolled down my cheek. Because in my heart of hearts, I knew that there was so much more to be enjoyed from that music.

Now that I have a job that can support my addiction AND good sounds (my first addiction is racing bikes, whether it be a mountain bike, cyclocross, or a road bike), I have decided to treat myself to what I know I have been missing. Over the past few pays, I've acquired some AKG Q701's, a Maverick Audio D1 for the desk and a JDS Labs c421 to couple with the iPod. I also have some Sennheiser PXC 450 headphones for travel (I fly every week, and didn't pay full price for them!). I know it's not the best gear, but its bikes first for me at this stage. I rockboxed the iPod to play my flac files; I didn't know about this until reading a few threads on this site. However, I think just today, my iPod has died. If I didn't have other plans for my money, I probably would have got a Fostex HP-P1 and a better headphone/amp combo for the desk. Not sure what it would've been though; so many choices.

I think the most surprising thing that I can tell you is that I was born deaf. It's sad to think that I may never realise the full magic and beauty of real music. Please don't despair, I'm not completely deaf, just about half deaf. I surprised myself when I could tell the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and flac. I used to DJ, and was good enough for a while that I played in a few nightspots around town. It was hearing music on these systems that I knew there was something in the music that I was missing with iPod earbuds. Actually, my dad had a half decent hi-fi system when I was younger too. Studying engineering brought my nightlife to an end, but I still have my own DJ gear and play around on it regularly. I also plan to upgrade my DJ gear to the club standards in the near future. This will also give me the ability to keep everything digital when I'm recording a mix, keeping the best quality right up to the listener's source.

I think I've babbled enough for now. Hopefully I've entertained someone. Thanks again for all the help you didn't know you were giving me :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back