newbie with some questions...... sorry......
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

100+ Head-Fier
been looking at the web site for awhile now, alot of info and i know im asking the same questions that has been asked, forgive me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Im wanting some good over the ear headphones ($500 or down) not sure yet about amp and all the good gizmos. main use will be ipod 160gb all in lossless format. interested in AKG 242 and the next couple of steps above those. grados maybe, sennheisers. my musical taste is mainly metal..... but anything from Pink Floyd/U2/Metallica/A Perfect Circle... many genres. 
  Bestbuy (online) sales the AKG and the Sennheiser and would like to buy from there but thats not written in stone. Ive only had a pair of Bose phones I bought 2 years ago and thought they sounded good but i know theres more to it.

Please let me know the pros and cons and which ones will be the best start. AKG/Grado/Sennheiser. 
 Also if you would let me know which headphone amps you like the best. lets say ($400 or down).
Thanks alot and I will be waiting for THE WORD. thanks

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Well I've heard the K24X's fare well with Metal.

I own the K240 MKII and I can say that they're really good for metal. They have nice bass for the drums and bass guitar and the mids are very defined, so it sounds awesome for guitar solos and guitar in general. The bass isn't anything over the top, but enough to support songs by metallica and such.

They work well for other genres too; just in case you ever want to listen to pop music. :p

My opinion might be over glorifying them though, since they were my first and  favorite pair of headphones.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 12
idk about to you OP, but i love my metal with punchy deep bass, this without affecting the highs in anyway. (i listen to mostly instrumental prog metal)

I have the equation RP15 and i love them (50$ in amazon), because of this i have the highers end Equation with similar sound signature next in the list "RP22x"

If you are willing to spend 500$ might as well consider the RP15 as spare portable, its very small when folded, if you like it half the way i do i'm sure you'll be eager to get the RP21 or RP22 soonish.

you might want to check out Joker's: Shootout: 61 portable headphones reviewed.

I also happen to own the AKG K240S and ass 2enty3 said (although he wrote the mkII and i have the 240s, but he did remind me of mines) bass is awesome, nothing over the top, still something a basshead like me enjoys, the highs are delicious, is my fave desktop headphone (i wouldn't carry them around , so no portable imo). they have great sounding lows without affecting the highs, way better then the RP15 in such aspects, (RP15 has more bass tho). plus super light, comfy and great looking. I'm using them right now playing some Liquid Tension Experiment 
basshead.gif

Before the K240s i used sonny XB700, bass monsters, super comfy, the problem is, they make everything sound bassy, even where there shouldn't be any bass, or some strong bass line ends and the xb700 have that "bass tale" sound still, like a long hummmm (idk the name
biggrin.gif
)

If you want a non portable headphone you could have better luck in the "Full size Headphones" part of the forums (this is the portable's)

Happy hunting!

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 12
I like my HD 650s with anything.  Add the E7/E9 combo and yr gold except for some very slight sibilance (that can be EQ'd out).

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 12
I mainly listen for melodic death and some thing like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne423XWtjf4.

with me, Grado sr225 and Denon Ahd2000 are almost perfect for listening and longterm benefits. You don't need to sell and buy. While Grado is specialized for metal, Denon will make you happy with other genres.

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 12
yea i also have to agree with above about the K240s. they work wonderful for all metal types and i listen to wide range of metal music from black metal,orchestrated metal,death,progressive and so forth while working for other ranges of genres as well. i love mine to death after i put'em on my head. first time giving akg a try and glad i did.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 12
I also like different genres of music including gothic, symphonic, industrial and heavy metal and for me HD650 are great while driven straight from Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card and they are not bright as some stating, i personally got them to get rid of brightness DT990 Pro have even after equalazing in such a way that i can still have all great details so HD650 having exactly what i want they way want and as much is needed to not to affect in wrong way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back