newbie wants new cans
post-1395365
Post #1 of 4

stefan

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to head-fi, although i've been surfing the forum, especially the computer-as-source section. This is a great place, so I've joined and this is my first post.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to listen to through an M-audio Audiophile USB, playing lossless audio from my PC. (this acts as a preamp for my main hi-fi system, -- class A monoblocks and speakers).
My only experience with headphones in my life have been with stock Sony earbuds and a pair of Panasonic closed models I bought a few years ago for about $20. The black padding on them is peeling, and they sound awful.

So I need a replacement, and really would like to get into headphones for late-night listening. But hunting through the forums has left me confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My criteria are as follows (in no particular order):

1. Comfort - being able to listen in warm climates and not feel sweaty, and not feel like my head is being squashed.
2. Sound quality (of course). I never knew headphones could produce a soundstage like speakers -- but apparently they can....
3. Good quality sound at reasonable volume -- with my cheap phones, I need to crank them to deafening levels before I even "hear" the music....
4. Noise isolation -- where no-one else in the house hears too much "tsss tsss tsss tsss".... (closed headphones).
5. Good build quality, and nothing too "plasticky".
6. If it makes any difference, I mainly listen to alternative rock, folk, blues, plus punk, some ambient, classical, and world. Guitars are what I like, so I need nice detail and natural sound.
7. Price: can I get all this for less than $100. I could stretch that a little if there is a strong contender at something up to $150.

By the way, these would not be for portable listening, just for staying at home.... Also, tell me if $100 or so is unrealistic if I want something that is "built to last".

Thanks a million in advance, and sorry for the long post.

s.

post-1395375
Post #2 of 4

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi stefan,

I have not auditioned some of the Sennheiser closed cans so I will have to leave others to make suggestions. However, I recommend you a pair of used Audio Technica A900 is probably around $160, do a search and you shall find good things about them.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

post-1395849
Post #3 of 4

Oink1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan

1. Comfort - being able to listen in warm climates and not feel sweaty, and not feel like my head is being squashed.
2. Sound quality (of course). I never knew headphones could produce a soundstage like speakers -- but apparently they can....
3. Good quality sound at reasonable volume -- with my cheap phones, I need to crank them to deafening levels before I even "hear" the music....
4. Noise isolation -- where no-one else in the house hears too much "tsss tsss tsss tsss".... (closed headphones).
6. If it makes any difference, I mainly listen to alternative rock, folk, blues, plus punk, some ambient, classical, and world. Guitars are what I like, so I need nice detail and natural sound.
7. Price: can I get all this for less than $100. I could stretch that a little if there is a strong contender at something up to $150.

Hi Stefan - Welcome to the headphone haven that is Head-Fi
Sorry about your wallet!

Given your budget and musical tastes i'd like to put the Alessandro MS1's forward for your listening pleasure...

1 - Comfort, The Alessandro/Grado line seems to be a love it or hate it thing regarding comfort... I personaly can wear them for hours but some of the more girly
Head-Fi'ers here complain about ear cartelidge (sp) issues. This is easily remedied by bending the metal headband to suit (An often performed opperation acording to the size of your melon
) You mention the sweaty ears problem - Again, i've never experienced this with my MS1's unlike the Beyers which can become a 'lil uncomfortable in the heat.

2 - Soundstage, They aren't the best in this area by any means - but they aren't hideous either.They also deliver the goods unamped (You'll notice a lot of difference with a dedicated amp though - Even a cheap Cmoy will reward you

3 - Isolation, If you go for these or Grado's forget it - They don't do isolation... If you really need it then it's closed 'phones for you and the hot ear issue rears it's head...

4 - Build and price, They are mostly plastic - They do however have a quality feel to them, If you want solid you're going to have to step up the food chain a little to the MS2i's or SR325's IMO - In summary the MS1's are the Head-Fi steal @ $99 inc shipping and a good place to start with the Alessandro/Grado line.

Hope this has helped a little and good luck in your hunt for 'phones!

post-1395868
Post #4 of 4

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan
Hello everyone,
I'm new to head-fi, although i've been surfing the forum, especially the computer-as-source section. This is a great place, so I've joined and this is my first post.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to listen to through an M-audio Audiophile USB, playing lossless audio from my PC. (this acts as a preamp for my main hi-fi system, -- class A monoblocks and speakers).
My only experience with headphones in my life have been with stock Sony earbuds and a pair of Panasonic closed models I bought a few years ago for about $20. The black padding on them is peeling, and they sound awful.

So I need a replacement, and really would like to get into headphones for late-night listening. But hunting through the forums has left me confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, these would not be for portable listening, just for staying at home.... Also, tell me if $100 or so is unrealistic if I want something that is "built to last".

Thanks a million in advance, and sorry for the long post.

s.

Sounds like you are looking for a good all-around pair of comfortable cans, for home use. Think about the AKG 240S for $100 (or maybe cheaper, if you search). They are "semi-open", but I don't think they leak too much sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)