Newbie trying to decide b/w HD-595 and MDR-V6
Feb 27, 2006 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Strife

100+ Head-Fier
Pretty much what the subject says, my current puny setup is:

Creative Labs Audigy 1
El-Cheapo MDR-G73
Logitech Z-560 (totally hated its bass, currently getting rid of them)

So, basically I'm looking for my first pair of Hi-Fi cans. I want to use them for everything from gaming, movies to music, nothing specific, just expect overall goodness for a non-initiated newbie like me who doesn't know any better.

My gripe with the Sennheiser HD-595's is their price, the Sony MDR-V6's cost almost half and are well regarded in these forums, however, I have no idea if the Sony's are even comparable or in the same league of the Senn's.

Just in case you're wondering I do realize I need to replace my sound card too, the basic X-Fi for games is in my mind (plus an AV-710 for music maybe?).

And yes, I have considered the HD-580's but was quickly overwhelmed by the variety of amps available, I think I will follow this route once I "level up" in Hi-Fi knowledge.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 22
HD 595 is an awesome choice for an all-in-one hi-fi headphone. It does everything well, and doesn't hassle you about source and amplification too much.

It also stomps all over the MDR-V6 in every possible way, and then sends an additional ass-kicking by mail.

I would suggest getting a sound card with an amped headphone out, which the AV-710 doesn't have AFAIK. The best option at AV-710 price level might be the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro. There are, of course, plenty of more expensive USB DAC/amp combos.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 22
I second what Jagorev stated. The 595s are good all arounders IMO. They do not offend the listener in any area and do well on most genres of music.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 22
The only downside to the 595 is that it isn't open. I spent a little time with these badboys at Sunday's NJ meet... and they DO kick some ass. Buy a pair, erase Head-Fi from your memory, hide your wallet, and you'll be totally happy.

Duh! I mean to say, the 595 IS open. It's a downside, if you're looking for a "can for all seasons."

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 22
If you are going to use your cans a lot for gaming, most people recommend the ATH-A900s. I just got my pair today and haven't really been able to try them out, but I did try out Max Payne 2 for a minute and it sounded really good. Very deep and tight bass
basshead.gif
but this is coming from someone whose best headphone was a PX100, prior to the ATH-A900. Also depends if you want open or closed.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The only downside to the 595 is that it isn't open.

They are open cans aren't they?

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 22
Duh! I MEANT to say the only downside is that the 595 IS open. That's sort of a downer to some people who are looking for their first high end cans.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 22
The HD595s are lovely, give it a few days of good use and they open up and smooth out and detail/bass becomes better....

There lovely cans sadly I live in a wooden house with 1inch walls and family sleep meters away and watching films/music and playing BF2 doesnt do much justice at 2am in the morning
wink.gif

There not that loud sounding actually but at 2am the noise is amplified, I need to go closed or even worse Wireless cans
basshead.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 22
v6 well regarded? since when? they're terrible, I prefer the lowly HD212pro over them. If you think 595 is too expensive, you can check out 555.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 22
I can compare an HD-555 to an MDR-V6 right now as I have both.

The MDR-V6 is way over-priced for what it does... the HD-555 is much better by a wide margin. Better soundstage, better mid-range... better bass, really comfy (though the MDR-V6 is comfy too).

if you got the MDr-V6 really cheap (>$30) then its not that bad.

The HD-555 which can be had for $100 is a great phone. Not as refined as the Hd-595 but according to those that have heard both, pretty close.

HD-555 = overall goodness

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 22
Hmmm,

I would recommend a pair of HD280pro. They´ll sound horrible out of the box, but after burn in you´ll be very impressed. Got mine for only €100 and am VERY happy with them. They go nowhere near that 32dB isolation that Sennheiser claims, but DO isolate very well. I use them for work at concerts (where most sound guys use HD25) and have never had any gripes about them. For musical enjoyment you´ll just have to equalize them slightly.

If isolation and high quality is what you want, for the price and even more they are unbeatable in my opinion. Have seen them sold for up to €180.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 22
I own both.

The V6 was my first 'good' headphone. Ergonomically, it is the best headphone I own, and is more comfortable with Beyer pads than the 595. Unamped, I think it is the best headphone available. Though it does have a narrow soundstage, inaccurate bass and sometimes shrieky highs, it gets me emotionally involved with the music in a way that the 595 can't.

Sonically, the 595 is a better headphone in every possible way. Better, more realistic soundstage, more natural sounding voices, and an ability to bring out detail in a very pleasant way. But with many recordings, it is just too bland. I experienced this last night while listening to my Journey Greatest Hits CD. With the 595, I spent time critiquing the various aspects of the recording, but when I switched to the V6, I was just taken away by the power of the song, and forgot about the fact that it wasn't 'as good'.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back