'newbie' specific grado question of 'suitability' ~ allessandro ms1's and bass
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

danielfrisbee

New Head-Fier
Hello there

Well, I've been reading headphone reviews and opinions until my eyes are sore, trying to research a purchase of some headphones.
I tried some grado sr80i's by chance on my cousin's electronic drum kit, I found them very comfortable and enjoyed the design greatly, they seemed to make perfect sense for home listening in that the open backedness means you can still hear the door bell etc, and nice and light so you don't feel like you're in your own universe.

Unfortunately listening to idiotic drum samples for 5 minutes wasn't enough for me to invest the money (of which I barely have anyway)

So belatedly to my question. How much does the 'lack of bass' I read about on the grado's and the alessandro's matter? And I ask this within this context; I am a recovering psychedelic trance rave warrior, and love to have drilling bass throbbing into my skull on occasion to capture that high and enter the trance vortex.

I love prog guitar music like camel etc which I'm sure will work fine.

But for that deep and intense bass craving, will these headphones be enough?

(This is the only headphone purchase I intend to make indefinitely, and my mp3 headphones (samsung yp-p3) are the sennheiser cx300 which are good enough for me- and the bass is pretty fun on those)

I know these different headphones are possibly not comparable, I suppose I just want to hear some knowledgeable and encouraging words before I sink all my money on the alessandro ms1s (cheapest option for the u.k with free shipping etc)

apologies for blathering on, looking forward to my new life with some half decent headphones...

thanks,

daniel

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 4
You're going to want to look somewhere else. The Grado's have nice, tight, very punchy bass, but they're not very suited towards electronic music. I listen to dubstep sometimes, and the bass is just fine for me, but I'm not a basshead at all.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 4
You can't have it all unfortunately ~ sharp, magical guitar riffs which is the main domain of the Grado
and uber deep sub bass.

You need two headphones to cover your needs unfortunately.

If I were you I'd be on the lookout for two second hand headphones.

SR60i and Shure 750DJ. Sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back