Newbie Seeking First Pair Of Headphones - Grado RS2i, RS1i, GS1000i vs Beyerdynamic DT880, T1, T5p
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ryder78

100+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking around here for a long time and gone through countless of threads on the archives for the past few weeks. After a decade long of constant upgrades, I have finally arrived at a decent loudspeaker-based system at home which I can live with for a long time. I've decided to call it quits(yeah right, I've said that almost hundred times by now) and venture into the new world of headphones, something that I have not tried before even as a teenager.

Initially I have set a budget of approximately $500 for a pair of headphones(and a decent headphone amp) but after reading more and more recommendations here it appears that my budget may have swelled up to $1000(or more). If the level of playback on the better headphones is significantly higher, I will not hesitate to spend more money, though I will still have to draw a line somewhere.

I realize folks will recommend what they own or what they like which is comprehensible since listening preferences vary with individuals. Although I will eventually get to audition the headphones that I have shortlisted, I would still like to solicit opinions from those who have had experience with some of the Grado and Beyerdynamic models. Somehow I have narrowed down my choices to these two fine headphone manufacturers. 

With the assumption that all headphones are optimized with a headphone amp, questions as follows:-

1) In the Grado line, which model is seen as the best bang for the buck? In many threads I have read that the models in the SR range sound almost alike. Is there a big difference between the SR325i and the RS2i? Similarly is there a substantial difference between the RS2i vs RS1i vs GS1000i?

2) In the Beyerdynamic line, I presume the T1 and T5p are a quantum leap over the DT880(which is the model that I am looking at currently). Nevertheless, both T1 and T5p are closed headphones. Although I have not listened to all these headphones, I somehow have a slight preference toward semi-open or open designs. Are the T1 and T5p much superior to the DT880? Between the T1 and T5p, which one is better? I know "better" is a subjective word. Perhaps I should rephrase. How different are the T1s in comparison to the T5p? Which one has a higher level of openness, refinement and detail?

3) If comparison is made between the Grado GS1000i and Beyerdynamic T1/T5p, which one would folks here pick as a more *complete* product, ie. a higher level piece of equipment.

Although all this is highly dependent on personal preferences, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 6
FWIW I am leaning more to the Beyerdynamics even though I have not listened to any of these 'phones.

I am interested in the DT880 vs T5p comparison.

I was informed that the T5p is a huge improvement over the DT880, but the T5p is a closed headphone. Does the closed design sound more unnatural than a semi-open or open design?

I would truly appreciate your thoughts. I am narrowing my choices down to the DT880 and T5p, with the Grado coming in close as a 2nd option.

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Need some help here guys.

Is the Beyerdynamic T5p a much capable performer that significantly improves  upon the DT880 in areas of openness, detail and refinement although it is essentially a closed design?

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Grado RS-1 is the closest thing I have experience with. They're easy, no-frills plug into anything headphones that sound good no matter what the source.

The GS-1000 is a departure from typical Grado sound, they have really meaty bass which was good to the people who liked Grado for the most part, but found it lacking in that area. The purists scoffed, but it's really quite a good headphone and again, pretty much runs off whatever you plug it into..

I didn't like the DT-880 vs the HD600, so maybe the HD600 is worth lookin' at buddy. It's easily the most universally pleasing midrange headphone out there and it does that by being both neutral and lively in it's presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back