Newbie question: overkill by getting great headphones for Nano?
Nov 18, 2005 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vinnyferret

New Head-Fier
I'm an audiophile when it comes to non-portable equipment. Well, I got an Ipod for the first time (Nano) and am thinking of getting the UE Sfi 5.

But I wonder, since Nano is mp3 quality, and I'm used to at least CD quality and alot of SACD/DVD-A hi res stuff on my home system, are the $250 headphones going to make much difference? I mean, an MP3 is an MP3.

Thx, and sorry if my question has been asked many times before.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnyferret
<snip> I mean, an MP3 is an MP3.

Not really, there's a huge difference between a 128 kbps and 320 kbps mp3 file, at 320 kbps the file is somewhere near cd-quality. Your mp3-encoder also matters alot, you will get the best results with EAC and LAME.
But since you have an iPod you also have some other options: AAC, which is a lossy format like mp3, is claimed to be better quality than mp3 (at the same bitrate). ALAC, which is a lossless format (no sound data is removed when the file is encoded, so you have actual cd-quality), the files are larger though.
But try the different formats and quality settings to find the one you can live with
wink.gif

Your headphones also matters alot and the Super.fi's won't be overkill, even with a nano.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 9
As others have said it's not the file quality so the Nano isn't really "MP3 quality". Or it.. is but can also be "CD quality". Try a few encodes at 224 AAC VBR first though.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
There's no such thing as overkill when buying headphones. Buy the best one you can afford.
wink.gif

Ah yea, the wallet is really the only bottleneck in any audio setup
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 9
and quality amp and higher ohm headphones for home use if you want (say the Senn 650s). The sound can be surisingly good with a good set up and minimal music compression.

Nov 19, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Reminds me of a question asked of an instructor at a high-speed driving event, about how much to spend on a helmet, "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet"
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back