newbie question : ksc35+868 or 888?
Aug 14, 2002 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

swakjer

New Head-Fier
I posted it on the headwize forum as well.. darn i registered with wrong id here, :|

I was trying to decide which phones are right for my MD (R900) for a while, (and read countless reviews here and at headroom), but i'm still confused. I'm gonna use it for both indoor and outdoor.

I've used Koss R80, the plugs(modded) and KSC50. R80 was a decent pair for the price, but too big and bulky, so i'm staying away from the full sized headphones. The modded plugs do a good job of noise blocking and sounds ok, but when I heard my friend's 888, I heard so much difference in the clarity and details, it almost enlightened me <smile>.
(by the way, i did the cmoy tube mod by simply pulling out the soft tube thingy, putting the form on top of the hole on the case and snapping the tube back in, no tape, no mess. but I wonder if it sounds the same)

KSC50 sounded pretty smooth with deep bass but it was way too loose fitting and I couldn't hear anything whenever there was some wind blowing or a car passing by me, so I returned it and got the plug instead.

From what I can gather and heard 888 has an excellent syrupy(sweet?) midrange with a lot of details which seems to fit me well since I listen to a lot of pop plus some classical and a few nu-metal stuff, but for the same price ($50+shipping?) I can buy both 868 and KSC35 and switch between two. I haven't heard 868 or KSC35, is 888 worth it? or shall i go for the other two? the opinions here seemed to vary over these three.
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 7
You might also want to consider the Sennheiser Mx500s. They are much cheaper than the 888's, usually under the 20 dollar mark. So for the price of ONE 888, you might be able to snatch the mx500 AND a ksc35, if mrtibbs is still selling them, that is. (search headwize's forum for his for sale thread).

Aug 14, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the opnion, but i've already used mx400 and even tho i liked it, it was considerably muddier than 888 and from what i read MX500 isn't really much better than 400 in that regard compared to 888.

It did have a better soundstage than 888, but KSC35 is still better at that.. so i guess the question comes down to whether 888 has enough merit over 868 to sacrifice ksc35. From what i know both KSC35 and 868 cost in the low 20's plus shipping. (man it might be cheaper to buy those two than a pair of 888, scary..)

Aug 15, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 7
W00T!!!

I JUST came back from vacation an hour ago. I picked up my koss 35's from martin on my way. Very nice guy to deal with, very trusting and trustworthy.

koss 35's are awesome!!! i burnt them in at night in my hotel (ahhh, the joys of having a 100+ hour cdplayer).

Everything i expected them to be. Like the koss 50's only an excellent fit this time, and they dont fall off if you lay down!!!
biggrin.gif

heartily recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 7
I really think that you can try Aiwa ED400/500 (=V551/553) as a cheap alternative to 888 (if you prefer clarity to bass of KSC-35). From what I've heard about MX 400s, Aiwa will beat them hands down (one person even made a direct comparison test between them on that forum and liked Aiwas much more). I also think that Aiwa's sound superb for the cans.

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't think there's much I can add here, but I thought I'd share my experience with the KSC-50 here. I use them on my gaming 'puters in my 'LAN room'. People who used the KSC-50's complained that the phones were always threatning to fall off.

I cured it by bending the earpieces in an S-shaped profile. Now they stay on a lot better.

Aug 24, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by kvman
I really think that you can try Aiwa ED400/500 (=V551/553) as a cheap alternative to 888 (if you prefer clarity to bass of KSC-35). From what I've heard about MX 400s, Aiwa will beat them hands down (one person even made a direct comparison test between them on that forum and liked Aiwas much more). I also think that Aiwa's sound superb for the cans.

I CAN'T FIND THESE ANYWHERE ONLINE!! HELP! thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back