Newbie question about Computer Setup
Feb 23, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I'm a complete beginner for using my computer as source. So need some help from the experts here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does the following setup work? I'm not worried about getting better sound for my money, just wanted to know if this setup actually works without me having to buy more hardware components.

Laptop computer -> EMU 0404 external USB DAC -> mini to RCA interconnects -> Mapletree Ear Purist + HD -> HD580

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's quite a nice amp you've got in that chain. the external 0404 doesn't have RCA outs? just curious. but yes - that set up will work and should sound pretty good.

It does not have RCA out indeed.

The setup should work. You can think about ASIO if you like. People say it sounds better.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 22
If I'm not experiencing any audible delay, jitter or unwanted noise, why would ASIO make music sound any better than it does now using the WDM drivers? Does ASIO even work with WMP11?

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not experiencing any audible delay, jitter or unwanted noise, why would ASIO make music sound any better than it does now using the WDM drivers? Does ASIO even work with WMP11?

Go to the thread linked in my sig if you want to know more about it. I have no idea if WMP supports ASIO, but then again, I have no idea why I would want to use WMP.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 22
I read your entire thread twice, and neither question was answered
frown.gif
WMP11 is fun
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read your entire thread twice, and neither question was answered
frown.gif
WMP11 is fun
tongue.gif

Oh really?

Well, I will answer it here then. (sorry for the off-topic)

The Kmixer will change your signal from 16-bits to something like 15-bits when changing things like volume etc. This signal will go though your DAC instead of the original signal of 16-bits. Meaning you just lost 1 bit of information which you can't listen to anymore. That's pretty much it. (very simplified and short)

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh really?

Well, I will answer it here then. (sorry for the off-topic)

The Kmixer will change your signal from 16-bits to something like 15-bits when changing things like volume etc. This signal will go though your DAC instead of the original signal of 16-bits. Meaning you just lost 1 bit of information which you can't listen to anymore. That's pretty much it. (very simplified and short)

But... If you keep all of your software volumes in the max position the only time you would lose bits is when a windows sound or something other than the music played. Is that correct? I actually use ASIO (because it's really easy to use with WinAmp and E-MU cards) but I'm not positive I can tell the difference between ASIO and WO with WinAmp. That is, as long as everything is in the max position.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... If you keep all of your software volumes in the max position the only time you would lose bits is when a windows sound or something other than the music played. Is that correct? I actually use ASIO (because it's really easy to use with WinAmp and E-MU cards) but I'm not positive I can tell the difference between ASIO and WO with WinAmp. That is, as long as everything is in the max position.

Windows sound are disabled when using ASIO with a device. So I guess not. The Kmixer can't access the device anymore since it is "taken" by ASIO. To be completely honest I am not really sure because I've got all windows sounds disabled anyway.

I would like to ask you all to post further questions about this in the ASIO thread. This is kinda ruining the thread of the OP here. I am sure you will understand.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't have the amp yet, and still looking to trade for an EMU-0404. I've sent my deposit cheque to Dr. Peppard for the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD. Hope to get the amp in late March...

I believe the EMU-0404 USB has an 1/8 stereo jack output correct? I think it's the 0404 PCI version that has the 1/4 output jack and the USB version with the 1/8 output jack. So for the mini to RCA cable connection, I believe the correct setup should be using the mini 1/8 connector to connect from the output of the 0404 and connecting the male RCA ends to the female Mapletree input. Hope I'm not embarassing myself here by getting everything all confused.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 22
If you are talking about the external EMU 04040 USB, it has a 1/4" headphone jack. I just bought it recently for my laptop and the sound quality is very nice. It is bigger than I thought it would be, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't have the amp yet, and still looking to trade for an EMU-0404. I've sent my deposit cheque to Dr. Peppard for the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD. Hope to get the amp in late March...

I believe the EMU-0404 USB has an 1/8 stereo jack output correct? I think it's the 0404 PCI version that has the 1/4 output jack and the USB version with the 1/8 output jack. So for the mini to RCA cable connection, I believe the correct setup should be using the mini 1/8 connector to connect from the output of the 0404 and connecting the male RCA ends to the female Mapletree input. Hope I'm not embarassing myself here by getting everything all confused.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobie72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are talking about the external EMU 04040 USB, it has a 1/4" headphone jack. I just bought it recently for my laptop and the sound quality is very nice. It is bigger than I thought it would be, though.

Hmmm, thought I read 1/8 somewhere on a specification sheet. Oh well, 1/4 works too since I have some nice quality adapters. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back