Newbie Q: sensitivity and impedance (AKG K240DF's) ?
Jul 15, 2010 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got a pair of the AKG's due to the large number of comments here and elsewhere about their neutrality. 
smile.gif

But I can't drive them adequately straight out of a PC.

Impedance is 600 ohms, sensitivity is 88 dB.

My understanding is that the higher the impedance, with a constant voltage across the headphones, less current is necessary to drive them.  (Kind of like: easier to drive 8 ohm speakers than 4 ohms speakers.)

But then I've seen comments that 100 dB or so is a good sensitivity for cans out of an MP3 player.  So it's the low sensitivity?

I need an amp to drive them properly?  I like what I hear, even at low volume so far, although a little trebly, but I imaging an amp would help there too.

??

Thanks !!

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I need an amp to drive them properly?  I like what I hear, even at low volume so far, although a little trebly, but I imaging an amp would help there too.

I have a K240 Monitors.  They do need an amp to be a bit more detail and to be able to have a decent range on the volume control.  They don't seem to change that much with amping.  I'd imagine the DF is 'trebly'.  The other user is right, you need an amp with a good voltage swing on high impedance headphones.  Tube amps are good, and maybe some hybrids (plus you can find a tube to warm up the sound a bit if you find them 'trebly').  As for the impedance vs sensitivity I'm not quite sure how that correlates.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Old thread.  Yes, an amp is required for most K240's IMO.  See my sig. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back