Newbie picking first quality IEM
May 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ablahblah

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I consider myself relatively new to the audio community, just recently got addicted to audio after figuring out how much I was missing from my speakers haha. Used to use this skullcandy in-ear, stuck with a skullcandy headset, both I know are pretty darn low grade compared to anything you guys use. I looked at the reviews on the site, which were pretty darn detailed and impressed me at first, and starting narrowing choices down, but got stuck. Which is why I'm here making this post here, if any of you would be so kind x_x

I'm trying to keep my buy below $150, aiming for warm&sweet given that I listen to a variety of music. I like a good amount of bass, though, since I do listen to a bunch of electronic while I'm doing things; I want to sit down and enjoy some rock and such now and then though. Source, I'm going through Zune and its Zune Pass so I don't think it's bad, e.g. not a YouTube rip heh. Vendor wise, I personally just trust Amazon, so I'd prefer it to be available through that.

So I narrowed what I think fits me down to the Brainwavz M3 (~$90), V-Moda Vibrato ($~130), and EarSonics SM1 (~$180). All of them seemed to get positive reviews from here, I wasn't quite sure what the money got though. The SM1's in particular, I'm not sure whether I'm ready to really step up to that class of IEM, but depends on how much of a jump that is from the two former.

Any advice or other suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

edit :: right, I'm also looking for depth and soundstage over a good rocking bud. Switching from those in-ears to headphones helped me realize there's a bit more to some of my songs than I thought, and I'm primarily making this buy to explore that.

May 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hi all,

I consider myself relatively new to the audio community, just recently got addicted to audio after figuring out how much I was missing from my speakers haha. Used to use this skullcandy in-ear, stuck with a skullcandy headset, both I know are pretty darn low grade compared to anything you guys use. I looked at the reviews on the site, which were pretty darn detailed and impressed me at first, and starting narrowing choices down, but got stuck. Which is why I'm here making this post here, if any of you would be so kind x_x

I'm trying to keep my buy below $150, aiming for warm&sweet given that I listen to a variety of music. I like a good amount of bass, though, since I do listen to a bunch of electronic while I'm doing things; I want to sit down and enjoy some rock and such now and then though. Source, I'm going through Zune and its Zune Pass so I don't think it's bad, e.g. not a YouTube rip heh. Vendor wise, I personally just trust Amazon, so I'd prefer it to be available through that.

So I narrowed what I think fits me down to the Brainwavz M3 (~$90), V-Moda Vibrato ($~130), and EarSonics SM1 (~$180). All of them seemed to get positive reviews from here, I wasn't quite sure what the money got though. The SM1's in particular, I'm not sure whether I'm ready to really step up to that class of IEM, but depends on how much of a jump that is from the two former.

Any advice or other suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

The Brainwavz M4(not M3) is currently on sale for 28 dollars on Amazon and I believe mp4nation.com(they actually make the brainwavz line). 

May 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 11
hmm, that's interesting, being knocked down a good $60 or so. thanks for the suggestion.

reminded me, I forgot to address whether I'm looking for a good rocking bud or detailed one, edited above^

May 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 11
if you can get a used pair of Earsonics SM2, that would be great as well.

What about those Vsonic models? GR06?

I consider both IEMs "warm and sweet"

May 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 11
TF10 is an excellent choice however it may be lacking bass impact for the preference you described. Triple-fi 10 (TF10) have balanced armature which works completely different to dynamic drivers, and can be quite a shock first time you hear them. You don't "feel the bass" because BA drivers don't push air, it doesn't go as deep or feel solid / lacking sub bass. A great song to show flaws of TF10 bass is "Nero Crush on you" that main bass drop in between each verse sounds weak, there's no body/ low end to it. It's something that you must experience first hand to fully understand . I own and use TF10 everyday, areas they do well is highs, resolution, they sound clear as the nights sky. but lose out to dynamic drivers in lower regions and best described by me as two angels singing. 

This is why I think offering TF10 to new members may not be a good thing, because what I mentioned is often overlooked. TF10 are for people that know what sound signature they're looking for and have experimented with other IEM's  I think the lack of bass and huge treble sparkle could be a bit off putting for your first major IEM.  Just be aware of that, for more information do a search on balanced and dynamic drivers.

If you're after detail, and warmth I recommend looking at the Yamaha EPH-100 which is dynamic micro driver with precision detail and 3d depth soundstage. I own them and they're honestly one of the best buys this century, mids have liquid clarity highs are near perfect, I recommend them because I feel they will suit your music preference and bass requirements.

Here's a review on them.

May 30, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 11
Based on your comments, I would suggest the TF10. They are one of my personal favorites and many find them to be theirs as well.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
TF10 is an excellent choice however it may be lacking bass impact for the preference you described. Triple-fi 10 (TF10) have balanced armature which works completely different to dynamic drivers, and can be quite a shock first time you hear them. You don't "feel the bass" because BA drivers don't push air, it doesn't go as deep or feel solid / lacking sub bass. A great song to show flaws of TF10 bass is "Nero Crush on you" that main bass drop in between each verse sounds weak, there's no body/ low end to it. It's something that you must experience first hand to fully understand . I own and use TF10 everyday, areas they do well is highs, resolution, they sound clear as the nights sky. but lose out to dynamic drivers in lower regions and best described by me as two angels singing. 

This is why I think offering TF10 to new members may not be a good thing, because what I mentioned is often overlooked. TF10 are for people that know what sound signature they're looking for and have experimented with other IEM's  I think the lack of bass and huge treble sparkle could be a bit off putting for your first major IEM.  Just be aware of that, for more information do a search on balanced and dynamic drivers.

If you're after detail, and warmth I recommend looking at the Yamaha EPH-100 which is dynamic micro driver with precision detail and 3d depth soundstage. I own them and they're honestly one of the best buys this century, mids have liquid clarity highs are near perfect, I recommend them because I feel they will suit your music preference and bass requirements.

Here's a review on them.

The UE TF10's I looked at first in my search actually, before I knew that what balanced armature and dynamic even were, though the one thing that always scared me a bit in reviews was the weakness in bass. After reading a few reviews on the EPH-100's though, in addition to that one, they look like something I can fall in love with, to be honest. I'm not at the stage where I'm looking for a true vibe from the IEM's themselves, anything that exposes the music a bit better would make me happy at the moment, hehe. The price point seems to be perfect as well, I'm astonished that something like that actually existed. Would have never came across those on my own, thank you!

So far I think I might just settle on those actually. Buying blind (or deaf, rather) isn't always what I always like to do, but that seems to be pretty darn close to what I'm looking for.

May 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The UE TF10's I looked at first in my search actually, before I knew that what balanced armature and dynamic even were, though the one thing that always scared me a bit in reviews was the weakness in bass. After reading a few reviews on the EPH-100's though, in addition to that one, they look like something I can fall in love with, to be honest. I'm not at the stage where I'm looking for a true vibe from the IEM's themselves, anything that exposes the music a bit better would make me happy at the moment, hehe. The price point seems to be perfect as well, I'm astonished that something like that actually existed. Would have never came across those on my own, thank you!

So far I think I might just settle on those actually. Buying blind (or deaf, rather) isn't always what I always like to do, but that seems to be pretty darn close to what I'm looking for.

There are people who label the TF10 as bass monsters. I don't agree with them, but I also don't find them lacking in bass. Just goes to show, everyone has different hearing, testing is the only real way to know.

May 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Buy the JVC HA-FX40. It has great detail and clarity and is just $20. You don't have to spend plenty for great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back