newbie needs help amp selection
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

i am ralph

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I am new to the forums, seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here so I thought I'd pick your minds before I keep spending and spending. So here's where I'm at. Audioengine a2 , audio engine d1, 250ohm dt880 all connected to my Mac, all of ny listening is done at the desk. I've been pleased with the a2 d1 combo for my small space, however less then impressed with the d1 as a headphone amp, it fatigues my ears and I feel like something is missing, not sure what to do next, dedicated amp or dac amp combo , tube or solid state. Can't spend more than a few hundred dollars at point. Also does anyone have any listening experience with the d1 and dt880? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Raphael

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard the Audioengine equipment, but you might want to look into some warmish tube amps. My Little Dot MkIII synergized well with my DT-990 -- it smoothed out the highs and put more body into the mids. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello all, I am new to the forums, seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here so I thought I'd pick your minds before I keep spending and spending. So here's where I'm at. Audioengine A2 , audio engine d1, 250-Ohm DT880 all connected to my Mac, all of my listening is done at the desk. I've been pleased with the A2 D1 combo for my small space, however less then impressed with the d1 as a headphone amp, it fatigues my ears and I feel like something is missing, not sure what to do next, dedicated amp or DAC amp combo , tube or solid state. Can't spend more than a few hundred dollars at point. Also does anyone have any listening experience with the d1 and dt880? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Guess you could try a Bravo Ocean, $120, tube amplifier with a separate line-out.
But you would be using the DAC built into the Mac.

If you sold off the Audioengine D1, could you up your budget to to $300.
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp (with separate line-out), $255+shipping ($45?)
Dual DAC chips (WM8741) and lots of amp power, drives my 600-Ohm Beyers just fine.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

My NFB-15.32 arrived about two weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back