Newbie need help choosing child's (11yr) headphones.
May 8, 2021 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Coyle

New Head-Fier
I have been researching for weeks now, time to reach out for help. Started with getting a long enough cord for him to watch shows & stuff sitting on his bed which is about 10' from PC, cord really needs to be 2x that long so isn't maxed out. Found out there are ones with detachable cords, that's good, can buy longer cord; but now I'm caught up with durability, finding comfortable earpads and sound that's not too bassy so he can hear vocals clearly. Also budgeting around $50 +/- for them. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

May 8, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 12
A used pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 could be a good starting place.

May 9, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 12
You may also consider a pair of cordless headphones. I'll be honest though, corded or not 50$ is going to be a challenge for your want list. Quality headphones are anything but cheap. Keep in mind that many users here are spending $3000+ for their headphones and multiple thousands for their amps, DACs and other electronics. Not to say that bargains can't be had but you probably will have to be flexible on some elements of what you're asking for.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 12
I'd consider something like the Sennheiser HD350BT and just go bluetooth. I've seen em as low as $80, but it looks like they're $99 now. I'd go that route just to eliminate the need for a long cable with a kid. I've got the HD450BT's and while the sound isn't all that great for music, it's acceptable for television so I use them when I'm up late at night watching television so as not to disturb my roommate.

May 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 12
What's in my mind right now:
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X
AKG K240

May 9, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 12
...and if you’re really want to stretch your dollar and expect to be in noisy environments:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ?th=1&psc=1
They'll just be for at home use, and don't need to be noise cancelling. A bit on the smaller side would be ideal since he's young; I'd just like them to be comfortable for long use and not break; low impedance as they'll be running of his PC. I'm flexible with price up to a point. I know I have away to go before finding right ones, here are a pair closest I've found so far (- the boom mic, as I'd use the 1/4 output jack from the headset as I've read that provides better audio coming from there.) Though he doesn't have any need for swiveling cans and that seems to be where they fail; there is a 2yr warranty that is honored promptly. I'd get at least a 20' cord so plenty of room to move around on bed etc. This is all in the discovery stage; if I could get a fabric type pad over pleather I think that' be more comfortable but that was originally what caught my eye about the dj style, figured he could wear them around the neck facing outwards if wanted a break from on ears.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 12
They'll just be for at home use, and don't need to be noise cancelling. A bit on the smaller side would be ideal since he's young; I'd just like them to be comfortable for long use and not break; low impedance as they'll be running of his PC. I'm flexible with price up to a point. I know I have away to go before finding right ones, here are a pair closest I've found so far (- the boom mic, as I'd use the 1/4 output jack from the headset as I've read that provides better audio coming from there.) Though he doesn't have any need for swiveling cans and that seems to be where they fail; there is a 2yr warranty that is honored promptly. I'd get at least a 20' cord so plenty of room to move around on bed etc. This is all in the discovery stage; if I could get a fabric type pad over pleather I think that' be more comfortable but that was originally what caught my eye about the dj style, figured he could wear them around the neck facing outwards if wanted a break from on ears.

I am not 100% sure, but these products look like they would fit or function properly with that OneOdio A71:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5576

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Re...id=1620573628&sr=8-9&th=1&psc=1&tag=headfi-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZK792...mVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=&tag=headfi-20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back