newbie looking for headphones with an ipod
Nov 3, 2002 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

sillyboi

New Head-Fier
hi there, i was just searching for some headphones and i stumbled upon to this site, which i can tell is very informative, but anyways... i am a student currently in university and i was looking for a decent pair of headphones to accompany my ipod which i just bought not too long ago! i converted to ipod from md since i really hated lp4 because of the really horrid bass i recognized... and the ipod can deliver mp3 encoding at 160k =) but anyways... so far i've been looking at the sennheiser HD-280PRO's and i've read alot of good reveiws on it, i was just wondering what other headphones are out there that are fairly good out there? i have the koss "in ear plugs" modified but i wanted to up one level in the audiophile level =) any suggestion's for my situation? and i also have rather large ears.... so would the Hd-280 pro's be a good choice? thanks for your time!!

Nov 3, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 24
I would go with the V-6's over the 280's; I like both but the V-6's are driven better with a portable. Also ( I will probably get flack for this but...) the EX70SL would both look good(they are white), and perform well with your IPOD. Granted many people hate these but IMO they are a giant step up from the KOSS Plug and provide excellent isolation and bass.

Nov 3, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 24
i'll second the sony v6s. however, if you're really interested in the whole "in-ear" type phone and isolation (if you can stretch your budget that far also), look into the ety 4p.

Nov 3, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 24
despite my experience with the superisingly good
headphone comes with ipod, I must agree that er4p is the ULTIMATE phone with ipod. So good that MP3 itself maybe a degradative point towards this phone in the first place

Nov 3, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 24
Sound quality aside, you lose major 'cool points' wearing the HD280's outside. So much so, that even the iPod cannot keep you out of the negative numbers. You could probably tape the iPod to one of the drivers and not notice a difference.
evil_smiley.gif

Suggestion for the EX70 is good. For the Ety ER4P is even better and worthy of your iPod (but not 160k encoding). Depends on your budget and your descriminating taste.

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 24
I agree with Joe. The Koss Porta Pros are outstanding with the iPod and at $31 shipped, a fabulous value. The Etys are better (by a fair margin) but they require more stationary circumstances or the microphonics will drive you crazy.

Actually, I think all iPoders should be required to own both
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 24
As much as I hate to say this, but I can't recommend any open-air headphones for outside use, especially in noisy settings. Even if you're moving about. The Koss Porta Pros are open-air, so they are a poor choice if your college environment is noisy to begin with - you would have to turn up the volume of your iPod well past the point where the loudness begins to hurt your ears just to hear much music over all that noise. And when you have the volume that loud, the sound from open-air headphones will leak so much towards the outside that it disturbs your dorm roommate (if you have one).

Nov 3, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 24
thanks for all the great replies!!! i was considering the ety's but i am on a budget.. and the ety's are way too expensive... and i live in canada, and winter is also coming i was thinking of getting some headphones so it can act like a lil ear warmer =) i know that's not a good idea for any headphones.. so that is why i did not plan to go all out on the best headphones but i would like just something decent... and i am not TOO worried about looks... the way i see it, at university... i rather NOT attract attention and i rather just listen to my great music! but i won't go as far as the grados, hehe. i'll look into those sony headphones, thanks alot for the replies!!

Nov 3, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 24
Remember -- you will probably have to order the MDR-V6 (NOT THE MDR-V600!) online from the States, and import it. It is cheapest that way. check shopping.yahoo.com for details.

Also, to make the ear-warming better, consider replacing the earpads with a competitor's replacement earpads. There are instructions to do so if you are interested.

Nov 3, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 24
hrm... i guess i'm going to have to settle for the sony-ex70sl's from audiocubes, since the headphones are so big and bulky i am afraid i might crush them somehow... and i don't have enough money for the ety's.. and i'll look into the porta pro's! thanks for the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back