Newbie looking for headphones just tried the Soul SL150/SL300, AH-D2000 & Sony XB300/500/1000
Jul 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

turnjet

New Head-Fier

I've been reading these forums for over a week now and thought I'd join up and tell you guys how it went listening to a bunch of headphones today. I live in Hong Kong.

I started out with the AH-D2000 and straight away liked the focus on bass. The cups were comfortable and I found them overall pleasant but nothing too exciting and no real punch. For $1960HKD (exchange rate with USD is 7.6 for future reference), I thought I could do better for the cash.

Moved onto the next shop and found the Sony XB series. Started with the XB300 and straight away took them off. Put on the XB500's and was instantly intrigued by the bass. The more I listened though, the more put off I was. The bass was too muddy and overwhelming and I'm not sure I want to bother messing with EQ. Very dissapointed there as I've read alot about how the XB500 are better with punch than the XB700.

Anyway as they had no XB700 and wouldn't let me listen to their XB1000, I moved on. Luckily the next shop were willing to unbox their XB1000 and I had a listen. Much better than the XB500 in all departments BUT I still felt no real punch that I was after or crystal clear clarity. I nearly cried as these were what I was gunning for after reading about them here.

I moved onto the last shop hoping and praying something would turn up and boy did it. I started with the SL150 and I instantly fell in love. I forgot about the XB1000 after 10 seconds of music, I kid you not. I varied my Ipod with Jurassic 5 (Hip Hop), Periphery (Djenty Metal) and Chase and Status (DNB). Problem was after a few tracks, my ears started to feel digging. I asked the guy if the line had some bigger cups and there they were, the SL300. 

I was told the SL300 ($2600) are pretty much like the Dr. Dre line (as I'm sure most of you know), apart from they don't cost a bomb. I didn't try the Beats phones, but after the SL300, I can thankfully say those are my next purchase. I felt excited the whole time I listened to those phones. Crystal clarity, punchy bass, basically all I could ask for. To make it even more sweeter, the guy hooked up a shop modded amp with this weird looking wire (apparently almost as expensive as the amp) and OMG. Blew me away!

The amp was called a Mingo Amp2, it's searchable. I won't get the same cable (it was 50% copper, 50% some other material) as it was out of my budget.

So in total, my purchase will come to:

SL300 $2600HKD
Mingo Amp2 $1150HKD
Signal Audio Cable $570HKD

Total in US dollars: $568 =D

Oh yeah, also tried the PANASONIC RP-HTF600. For $300HKD, a worthy mention. Comparable to the  AH-D2000 in hindsight and for six times less!

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 36
:blink:

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 36
Looks like we could start a betting contest, troll or real? Any takers? :D

Hmm yea I think the reaction of the Croozer were probably something along those lines. Seriously the souls with active noise cancelling? At least I had thought SL150 had been the better purchase of the two... How would you compare those two?

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 36

Right, so if I am a troll, the point of my post would be exactly? 

Instead of the benefit of the doubt, I get called out. Nice forum.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have mentioned cash, but then I figured who here lives in Hong Kong anyway.

Seriously guys, i'm just excited about getting my first decent set of headphones. 

What makes me chuckle though is that both of you own or have owned the XB500 and AH-D2000.

For what it's worth, the SL150 had a more muddy bass and uncomfortable cups for me, while the SL300 had an overall better sound quality.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 36
If you were a troll then the point would either be to have a laugh when creating havoc which trolls usually feed themselves on or you could be a marketing guy from the company. Nah joking, relax.

It's just that people around here don't have big expectations in a product like this to actually sound great for its price. Ofc it doesn't have to be a bad product cuz the Beats by Dre are, I've even defended these new headphones once in a thread from some hate before there even where any reviews out but the thing that it would beat both Denon D2000 and Sony XB1000 is what's hard to believe. xD Of course sound is highly invidual and we all have our preferences how it should sound like but still... 

I wonder if these SL300 works without batteries so that only noisecancelling won't work as I would never concider using a headphone that requires batteries to work and most likely I'd find it having a negative impact on SQ as well which is usually the case with the other ANC headphones.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 36
Yeah, I'm interested in how you think they compare to Beats Pro or Studio when you get some. SL300s being as good as you say is hard to believe for sure.

Quote:
I was told the SL300 ($2600) are pretty much like the Dr. Dre line (as I'm sure most of you know), apart from they don't cost a bomb. I didn't try the Beats phones, but after the SL300, I can thankfully say those are my next purchase. I felt excited the whole time I listened to those phones. Crystal clarity, punchy bass, basically all I could ask for. To make it even more sweeter, the guy hooked up a shop modded amp with this weird looking wire (apparently almost as expensive as the amp) and OMG. Blew me away!

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 36
I defended these too but they beat the D2000s?..So um yeah, not only that, the SL150 beat the XB1000s. I really need to hear these. (Not sarcasm)

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 36
One reason the SL300 sounded better than the XB1000 was that it was straight out of the box, so they weren't burnt in. As for the D2000 (definitely burnt in due to wear and tear), I honestly preferred the SL300. As I said, it just made listening to the music I like (Hip Hop, Metal, DNB) more enjoyable. I wouldn't be able to tell how the XB1000's sound burnt in, so I have to go with what I can already hear.

The SL300 require batteries for noise cancelling, but you still get sound if the batteries don't work. When I tested it, the batteries were almost out, so the sound was stopping and starting when using noise cancelling. Without the noise cancelling, the sound was clear, but no bass at all. Still listenable. When turned on though, that's when the magic starts. Rechargeable AAA batteries should remedy this.

Hester, I said the RP-HTF600 were comparable to the D2000's, not better. The D2000's are obviously better, I just felt the same sort of feel and quality from both headphones. 

Some people sure do like to read into things, oh look, another person defending their purchase. 
o2smile.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 36
Even if I didn't own them I would be curious as how they're comparable to $40 headphones. Wouldn't you be LOL? I'm just very opinionated, and it shows in my posts, don't get offended. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the only pair of 'phones you heard with an amp was the SOULS :/. I honestly want to hear these though, don't get me wrong. I cant give them a fair chance until I hear them.

Btw, I know what you're talking about when you say with noise cancelling on there's more bass. I had a pair of Panasonic HC150. They were ok with noise cancelling off, but with it on they bumped. But I think that's fake boosted bass.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 36
Interesting. There's a lot of fluctuation between "reviews" of the Soul line; some say that they're overpriced (usually hipster audiophiles), some say that they're better than the Beats but not worth the price, some say that they're JUST worth price while others say that they exceed their price tag.

It's confusing really. Someone should really try them and do a true-to-the-ear, unbiased, proper impression of the Souls. I'm seriously hoping that the Soul line will represent a new generation of mainstream audiophillia.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 36
Maybe I didn't pick up on all the nuances from the D2000 and if I had more time with them, I'd be able to see them shine more. As it stood though, I had about ten minutes with them and the Panasonic phones and felt about the same level of excitement and love for them both. That's simply my personal preference.

I have no bias or love for any brand, my last headphones were some basic Sony headphones and my in ears are some deep bass Philips phones (SHE9551). I've bought those in ears twice as I love them so much. After trying numerous in ears, the only ones I seem to like more are the Monster beats. But the red cabling and extortionate price puts me off.

As of yet I still haven't purchased anything and posted this to muse over any further options before taking the plunge. 

For the record, I really dislike the SL300 colour scheme and don't like Ludacris, or artist branded headphones for that matter. 

If there is anything else out there, I am more than willing to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back