newbie looking for good set of headphones
May 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

warshoot3r

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some good all rounder headphones. The price range is £200 (GBP). This is not set in stone.
My priorities are :
Closed headphones
Great bass
comfortable
good sound quality

May 31, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi. Couple of suggestions that might be of interest - both of which I've demoed but not owned: Audio Technica ATH-M50X + Sennheiser HD8 DJ. The bass is strong with both of these I reckon, but they do OK in other areas too.

May 31, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Sennheiser Urbanites, the on ear version. The XL version you'd probably need a headphone amp to get the desired bass.

May 31, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 7
  Sennheiser Urbanites, the on ear version. The XL version you'd probably need a headphone amp to get the desired bass.

I honestly disliked the bass on the Urbanites. They have plenty of quantity, but the apparent speed and detail are lacking.

If they do not need to be portable, my advice would be the MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Those have the best quality bass for closed headphones at (a bit more than) £200.

If you like bass that is more prominent than it normally is, the Beats Solo 2 could be a good option. These are the only Beats headphones I'd recommend to anyone. Their comfort is great for on-ears, but if you are going to wear you headphones for more than 1.5 hours on end I'd rather recommend over-ears. For heavy bass the V-Moda M100 is a very popular choice here on the forums.

May 31, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't know where OP is based (assuming UK from GBP price quoted), but the thing I dislike about MrSpeakers and V-Moda is that neither of them have any UK distributors and, having contacted them both, apparently have no plans to. I don't know how US-based companies like these expect to garner an international following when there are no opportunities to demo their products.

May 31, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, the good thing is Sennheiser Urbanites and Beats Solo 2 are on display at a lot of stores in the UK so you can listen before you buy. A lot of other nice choices available for a listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back