Newbie Looking for Good Headphones
May 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

orphodoop

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a new good pair of full headphones. I just tried my friend's Beats by Dre Pro headphones recently. To me, they sounded pretty decent, and looked really cool and slick, but for this price ($400  
blink.gif
 ), they should've sounded much better. I've been looking around on different forums for better headphones in the $200 or less area, and there seems to be a lot of choices that are better than the trendy Beats.

I've been reading similar posts on this forum (yes I know there are a lot of them), but there are so many choices that I wanted to make my own post to narrow my search further.

Here's essentially what I'm looking for...

I want headphones that...
1) ...excel in Hip-Hop beats.
2) ...will have satisfying bass when listening to EDM or dubstep.
3) ...have detail that will show me sounds of songs I've never noticed with lower-level headphones.
4) ...still look somewhat slick, as I will be mostly using these from class-to-class at my college.
5) ...prevent too much sound leaking. I'm not quite sure if this is the same as noise-cancellation? I just don't want everyone around me aware of what I'm tuning in to.

EDIT: It may be worth noting that I am looking for some headphones that sound do sound really good, but honestly will only be used while plugged into an iPhone when I'm out and a laptop when I'm sitting at my computer.

I mostly want headphones that have a very good range, not necessarily HUGE bass, but decent bass. This is because I'm not a go-hard basshead, and that I've read a lot of headphones in the $130-$200 range that have good bass lack in highs and mids.

May 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 6
3) ...have detail that will show me sounds of songs I've never noticed with lower-level headphones.
4) ...still look somewhat slick, as I will be mostly using these from class-to-class at my college.
5) ...prevent too much sound leaking. I'm not quite sure if this is the same as noise-cancellation? I just don't want everyone around me aware of what I'm tuning in to.

you're gonna need more then a headphone upgrade for that
sound quality starts at the source, and on an ipod, that source is the files.
if you use standard MP3 quality (128kbps i believe) you won't notice much extra detail wise

May 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
you're gonna need more then a headphone upgrade for that
sound quality starts at the source, and on an ipod, that source is the files.
if you use standard MP3 quality (128kbps i believe) you won't notice much extra detail wise

Well maybe I need to cut that from my list for now then (though I do try to get 320 kbps when possible). But still, I need headphones that match the other criteria. Like I said, I'm a newbie and I'm looking for some suggestions.

May 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Also, I'm looking at the  Audio-Technica ATH-M50s right now.

It seems they're decent for what I'm looking for, but one thing I'm worried about is whether or not they'll provide decent highs and mids that are still important to me?

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a new good pair of full headphones. I just tried my friend's Beats by Dre Pro headphones recently. To me, they sounded pretty decent, and looked really cool and slick, but for this price ($400  
blink.gif
 ), they should've sounded much better. I've been looking around on different forums for better headphones in the $200 or less area, and there seems to be a lot of choices that are better than the trendy Beats.

I've been reading similar posts on this forum (yes I know there are a lot of them), but there are so many choices that I wanted to make my own post to narrow my search further.

Here's essentially what I'm looking for...

EDIT: It may be worth noting that I am looking for some headphones that sound do sound really good, but honestly will only be used while plugged into an iPhone when I'm out and a laptop when I'm sitting at my computer.

I mostly want headphones that have a very good range, not necessarily HUGE bass, but decent bass. This is because I'm not a go-hard basshead, and that I've read a lot of headphones in the $130-$200 range that have good bass lack in highs and mids.

Sennheiser HD25-1 II, V-Moda M80, Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, etc. just to name a few.
You may want to take a look at this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back