Newbie looking for first headphones
Jun 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

cmach

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm in the market for my first pair of head-phones. I will be using them
with my iPod Touch almost exclusively. I've had a chance to listen to
a pair of Sony Studio headphones (~$100) and was very impressed.

The max I could spend would be in the $175 range. I've been looking
at the Grado SR125 but I'm not sure it would be the best match for
the iTouch. I would really appreciate some feedback here. I'm trying
to come up to speed but their are a lot of options out their. Thanks
for your help.

Cheers
cmach

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 22
What music do you listen to? Where are you located?

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 22
The Grados can be easily driven using everyday MP3 players (no need for separate amp) and their performance is outstanding price wise. Go with the Grado SR-60 first, and then if you feel like abusing your wallet a little more, you can then think of other options out there (of which there are simply so many....)

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 22
unless your going to be jumping around a lot, go for the highest grado with a mini plug, and then experiment with the "scotch tape" bass mod to fill out the bottom end. that will give you the most bang for your buck. IEM's are also great if your going the total portable route. I dont know much about those though.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 22
check out denon D1000, got decent review here. Also, you can change the cable later too. I got one and quite happy with it. Using the D1000 as a compliment to my Sen 555.
cheers,
ap

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 22
i am also planning on buying my first pair of quality headphones, where my main form of use will be with an iPod. i've been looking around the internet, reading various reviews, and have liked what i see in the Sennheiser line, particularly the HD280 and HD555, and also the AKG K171 MKII. i'd like to stay below $200, and was wondering what opinions were on these respective models, and also if there are other brands/models i should be looking at?

thanks

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 22
My guess is that more folks will chime in with Audio Technica closed can recommendations soon. I have liked the sound of their higher end headphones, and many people here swear by the portable models.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grados can be easily driven using everyday MP3 players (no need for separate amp) and their performance is outstanding price wise. Go with the Grado SR-60 first, and then if you feel like abusing your wallet a little more, you can then think of other options out there (of which there are simply so many....)

That's what I was thinking. The SR-60 is a terrific place to start and well under your budget.

If you've never listened to good headphones before, the SR-60 will change everything. Give them a try. If you don't like them, they sell in an hour or two in the For Sale Forum.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 22
wow, those SR-60's look like an awesome deal for the price. i take it, based on pictures, that it's an on-ear model as opposed to around-the-ear? regardless, it looks like something i would be interested in, and will definitely look into them more. thanks for the help so far!

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 22
Overall, a pair of Grado SR-60s would be a very good choice to start with, I think.

But, if you are planning to listen to music on-the-go a lot, closed headphones will suit you better. Grado's are 'open' headphones: no sound-isolation and high sound-leakage.

Also, I don't think SR-60's offer a big 'soundstage'.

But, besides that, they are GREAT headphones for the money. I bought my pair for 99 euros(!) here in Holland, no regrets :p

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 22
i think i might try out the SR-60's, as they don't require an amp to achieve the great sound that i've heard they have. and since they are only around $70 or so, they can be a good building block toward more expensive phones, which i most likely will end up buying in the future, haha. thanks for the input.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 22
I have had a pair of sr60s for a few months and really like them. They have been a good intro. May want to look at the MS-1 by allessandro too, it's pretty similar. Looks like you made up your mind though, so good luck, I doubt you will be dissapointed they are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back