Newbie here, looking for recommendations.
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PaulFrigginStanley

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking at this message board for the last few years. Whenever I'd look for headphone information, I'd find links to this forum.

I've become somewhat of a headphone junkie over this period of time, and I'm always looking for a new pair of headphones. I'm kind of a cheapskate/on a tight budget so I'm looking for the best sound quality for the cheapest price.

Earlier on i stumbled across this link https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...XCe8QFggeMAU&usg=AOvVaw3Gjru-rTM1flkXdGCxS6x1

And started on my journey with the sennheiser hd201. Initially, I wasn't too impressed. I used them off and on for a while. I never got too into them.

About 2 years ago I bought the monoprice 9927 and it was exactly what I had been looking for in terms of sound quality. My mind was blown and how these inexpensive bids put out such clear and detailed sound. And that's when my unhealthy obsession began.

Since then I've gotten the koss porta pros, which didn't really impress me much. I though they sounded too bassy and not clear in the higher frequencies.

Also I have the ktxpro1 which sounded a little bit more clear to me, but not quite as crisp as I'd like.

The ksc75 are more in line with what I'd like but they need more bass. After a while I took my porta pros off the headband and put them on the ksc75 clips and the porta pro drivers seemed to open up and all the high end clarity i feel they were lacking on the band suddenly came to life. They sounded great.

I've also gotten the monoprice triple driver buds, and the Panasonic ergofit buds and I like both of them a lot.

another thing worth noting is i am half deaf in my left ear due to forgetting earplugs at a concert in 2012. So I've been listening to my devices in mono mode.

I'm here looking for the best sound signature to listen in mono mode at the cheapest price.

I've got my ears on a few models....

Jvc flats
various kz/cca models
and some lower end grados

Sorry for the longwinded first post....I look forward to checking out out anything you guys would recommend.

have a great day everyone!

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 8
I would not go for the lower Grados. I think you will not be impressed. I tried the SR80es and have a SR125e and the only thing I use them for now are conference calls over the PC for work. They were my first open-back headphones after buying some CAL!s. Not sure what your budget is but I think one of the cheaper Sennheiser HDxxx line might be a good start if that works for you money wise.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 8
I’m willing to go as high as maybe 100.

I’ve heard so many good things about even the low end grados that I’m almost disappointed to see you don’t think I’d be too impressed.

I’ve got all those pairs that I mentioned, so it might be a while before I pick something up. Maybe with Christmas money.
Maybe I’ll try another sennheiser....

thank you.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Let me clarify. If you didn't like the Koss Porta Pro, then, in my opinion, I don't think you will get much out of the Grados 60/80/125s.

See, I like the porta pro..... on the ksc75 clips. I hear more high end on the clips. On the band they sound muddy. But the ksc75 on the porta pro band sounds more bass which it lacks on the clips...

also, I have tinnitus, mostly in the half deaf left ear, but sometimes it gets worse and occasionally the right ear experiences it too.

Also, maybe I should just accept that my hearing is too crappy to enjoy what most people get out of high end headphones...heh.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 8
I’ve heard so many good things about even the low end grado

Yes! I know, that's where I started too. I heard so many good things as well and with a "let's see if I can get into this game and spend the least amount as possible" mentality, I thought it would be worth trying them out . But alas, it was not to be. I really-really tried to like the SR125s but I just couldn't. I knew there was something missing. I went to the HD6xxs after that and got a full Schiit stack and that has served me well...for now.

May 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 8
I don't know what happened.

did my hearing get better?

because all of a sudden, the ports pros sound clear and wonderful on the band! I've had them for two years!

also snagged a pair of kph30i's which sounded okay to me out of the box, then I added an ear pad replacement I saw on a thread here about thAt headphone and it really brought the highs up to where I'd like them.

Also most of my usage is on portable devices. But every one of these cans sounds better on my old pioneer receiver/amplifier.

The end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back