Newbie here, looking for a set.
Oct 24, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a set in the ~$80 range. I have spare cash, so that range could be persuaded upwards if it's worth it. essentially looking for the best bang/buck

The source would be a computer.. it does run through the headphone port in my 5.1 creative speaker setup.. low end system, it cost under $100 at best buy, I don't know the model.

I listen to jpop of different varieties... pop, electro-pop/techno/dance and rock mostly

some examples:
Boom Boom Satellites - Intergalactic
YouTube - Intergalactic - Boom Boom Satellites
Perfume - Twinkle Snow Powdery Snow
YouTube - Perfume - Twinkle Snow Powdery Snow - [HQ]
YUI - Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpgdhV1M14
Dream - My Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYC9Gy0HCY

at least those are some of the questions I saw asked to other newbs in their threads..

I saw that there was a deal for the DT 770's, would those be suitable for my situation? good bang for the buck?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 25
How much would an appropriate amp set me back?

EDIT: also, what happens if I use it without an amp? obviously the resistance is higher.. but will I just have low volume or what? the low end system can bring the volume up quite high..

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spare cash, so that range could be persuaded upwards if it's worth it.

Oh dear, if you care at all about your money, you really shouldn't throw in a statement like that. The headfiers here have been known to influence ppl into spending 3-4 times their budget.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

EDIT: also, what happens if I use it without an amp? obviously the resistance is higher.. but will I just have low volume or what? the low end system can bring the volume up quite high..

the fiio e3 is only about $8 shipped.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradesm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the fiio e3 is only about $8 shipped.

I don't plan on using my headphones anywhere but at my computer.. so a battery powered amp isn't really what I am looking for.

and when I said appropriate amp, I meant an amp capable for the DT 770

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Since you're interested in an amp, then I highly suggest you buy the DT770 on Amazon at its incredibly low price of $113.77 NOW before it runs out of stock or the price jumps back up high. It's debatable how much you should spend on a good amp, but I'd say you're looking at between $100 and $140 minimum for a good one. You can always improve its sound with a better amp. For now even a $10 Fiio amp would work OK. This would be a very good buy for you IF you eventually expect to be buying an amp.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're interested in an amp, then I highly suggest you buy the DT770 on Amazon at its incredibly low price of $113.77 NOW before it runs out of stock or the price jumps back up high. It's debatable how much you should spend on a good amp, but I'd say you're looking at between $100 and $140 minimum for a good one. You can always improve its sound with a better amp. For now even a $10 Fiio amp would work OK. This would be a very good buy for you IF you eventually expect to be buying an amp.

could you suggest a amp comparable to a Fiio thats not battery powered that would work alright at a low price? how soon is eventually?

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

The volume "may" not be as loud as you like. The headphones "may" not sound to your liking. But even the E3 or E5 Fiio would stand a chance of resolving that. After that you'll probably want something like the Little Dot I+.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

could you suggest a amp comparable to a Fiio thats not battery powered that would work alright at a low price? how soon is eventually?

No, I can't, but maybe someone else can. Eventually is really up to you, but I don't suggest at least going without a Fiio amp. That's not to say you could not enjoy the DT770 without an amp; you may. The E5 Fiio should be coming out soon probably with a rechargeable battery so I think that would be a very good option until you can buy a better amp.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 25
You really should buy these NOW (unless you're uncomfortable spending that kind of money) because these should go fast. Some eBay sellers try and by sale items like this and then resale it for higher prices on eBay. There's no telling how long this sale will last; it really could end very soon. The RX900 is a very good deal too if you're looking to spend less money, and its pricing should be around for a while.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 25
I am thinking that I may pick up the DT 770 and a E3 fiio and fit it to be power by the wall (or maybe even USB).

I have some friendly EE majors I could probably get to help me with that

thanks for the help =)

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

I am thinking that I may pick up the DT 770 and a E3 fiio and fit it to be power by the wall (or maybe even USB).

I have some friendly EE majors I could probably get to help me with that

thanks for the help =)

That would be even better. Amazon had the DT880 on sale for under $200 shipped, and just yesterday they ended the sale and now it's selling for over $100 higher. The price on this DT770 has been falling like a rock the past couple of months. I think it's now as low as it's going to be before the sale ends. You're welcome.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 25
Really, the Fiio is highly finicky synergy wise and I wouldn't think it would be a good match for the DT770 at all.

1) The DT770's are accused of having too much bass and you want to add even more bass!?

2) The Fiio lowers soundstage in phones with a good amount of soundstage.

3) The Fiio darkens any phone.

So what you got with a DT770 + Fiio combo is a bottlenecked headphone that's dark sounding and has way way too much bass.

*sigh* at Head-fi sometimes.
As good of a bargain the DT770's are..honestly..the Denon D1001s would of suited the guys needs better + no need for amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back