Newbie - asking for recommendations for new IEMs
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Edyeded86

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Newbie here, looking to get a little more serious into my music listening experience.

Hope the information I provide can help you guys recommend some IEMs for me to consider.

1. My usage

I'm not an audiophile and need some IEMs that are used for traveling/commuting, everyday use, possibly gym (don't get angry), listening at home.

2. My preferred sound

I love bass, but would like to experience details, clarity and separation too. My music genres include: hip hop, r&b, pop, rock

Artists I'm starting to appreciate more are daft punk.

3. My budget

Up to £1,200 - or USD equivalant.

4. Type of IEMs

Exploring universal and custom.

5. My setup (don't laugh)

OnePlus 8 pro - Tidal (high Res). I'm also considering the dragonfly cobalt - but also open to your recomendations (but being small and mobile is really important to me).

6. What I've looked at so far

I've looked at Shure SE846 and looking at UE 11, but I haven't heard/demo'd either of them.

Really appreciate your recomendations guys and girls :)

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 6
There's lots of stuff that can meet or beat the se846 nowadays, for much less.

Since you're new, it may be worth it to try a few 'lesser' IEMs to figure out what you truly want in a sound signature.

The Moondrop Starfield or ibasso IT00 may be a good starting place. I haven't personally heard them but they are what I would consider. Or even the ultra cheap $30-35ish Blon BL-03 (may require ear tips, cable and mods out of the box though).

Source wise, you could consider getting something like the Fiio BTR3K, Radsone ES100 or Quedelix 5k for a powered BT dac/amp to compliment your phone.

You could also add something like the Hidiz Sonota HD pro, DD TC35B, ibasso DC-01/DC-02, E1DA or another USB-C dac of your choice.

There's even options to eliminate wires altogether. BT20S, UTWS1, Fostex TM2 and Shures TWS adapter.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 6
There's lots of stuff that can meet or beat the se846 nowadays, for much less.

Since you're new, it may be worth it to try a few 'lesser' IEMs to figure out what you truly want in a sound signature.

The Moondrop Starfield or ibasso IT00 may be a good starting place. I haven't personally heard them but they are what I would consider. Or even the ultra cheap $30-35ish Blon BL-03 (may require ear tips, cable and mods out of the box though).

Source wise, you could consider getting something like the Fiio BTR3K, Radsone ES100 or Quedelix 5k for a powered BT dac/amp to compliment your phone.

You could also add something like the Hidiz Sonota HD pro, DD TC35B, ibasso DC-01/DC-02, E1DA or another USB-C dac of your choice.

There's even options to eliminate wires altogether. BT20S, UTWS1, Fostex TM2 and Shures TWS adapter.
This is so useful - thanks, I appreciate it.

my goal is ultimately to get a real good pair of iems but I think the-journey will be an important one!

Would you say that music from my phone on tidal would be sufficient or should I be looking for a decent source first (preferably one that I can run the hi res tidal from)?

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 6
That's not something I can weigh in on. I typically stream myself (spotify, XM, etc) and I don't use anything like tidal or the other higher fidelity streaming services.

If you have some lossless format files or cd rips you could compare and see if it's worth it to you.

All the options I listed above are based around simple and small portable setups. There are plenty of other portable options (not to mention many other options for non-portable use amp/dac/computer/etc).

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 6
That's not something I can weigh in on. I typically stream myself (spotify, XM, etc) and I don't use anything like tidal or the other higher fidelity streaming services.

If you have some lossless format files or cd rips you could compare and see if it's worth it to you.

All the options I listed above are based around simple and small portable setups. There are plenty of other portable options (not to mention many other options for non-portable use amp/dac/computer/etc).
Just thought I'd update here. I've ordered Blon BL-03, but also for the AK SR25 :).

I figure it's going to help me in my journey and really appreciate the iems.

Would appreciate some more recomendations from you guys! Thinking about the Shure se215 to start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back