Newbie after full rig max around $3500?
Apr 27, 2004 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rhodyavphile

New Head-Fier
Need some advice in putting together a headphone setup to complement existing 2 channel rig. Need headphones and amp.... Either Tape loop or preamp okay, but preamp would need to have at least one XLR input...

New kid on the way so I need to find a way to keep listening(aka keep my sanity) without upsetting wife or baby....

Preferred sound quality:
Musical
Accurate
Detailed
Fast
Proper soundstage

Musical taste:
Classical to Hip hop and everywhere in between....

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 24
Isn't the Omega an open phone? .... While I can only dream of how good that thing sound, perhaps a closed phone might be more appropriate for our new father over here.

The R-10 might be in order, but that thing by itself cost $3,500. And still no amp.

Hmmm... a dilemma.

BTW - How on earth did rhodyavphile manage to get "0" post while posting this thread?!

Oh er... Welcome to Head-Fi. And seeing that you are pretty loaded, I'll dispense with the traditional "Sorry about your wallet" part.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 24
Another alternative would be the R-10s which I believe you can pick up as cheap as 2600 with a Ray Samuel's Emmeline HR-2. One of the members Markl has this combination and really enjoys it.

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 24
Well, I'm sure it's no Omega II, nor HE90 Orpheus, but Stax has the 4070 closed-back Lambda series. Matched with a 006T / 007T the system might be kinda nice.

Otherwise the (lightly used) R10 route sounds most promising! How about the AT's with a great amp?

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 24
Boy,how did I know that the "Stax Mafia" was gonna jump in on this one
rolleyes.gif
. You guys are brutal. Do they make a pill for this sickness? Did you read his post? He said accurate!!!!!

Stop it now,I'm joking.

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Boy,how did I know that the "Stax Mafia" was gonna jump in on this one
rolleyes.gif
. You guys are brutal. Do they make a pill for this sickness? Did you read his post? He said accurate!!!!!

Stop it now,I'm joking.

Hehehe
rolleyes.gif
Grrrrr.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I bought an RV cause I'm on the run from the "Stax Mafia". They'll never catch me

Hmmm, I'm currently on a 900 Ninja. Yes, I can catch you
icon10.gif

(first bike after totalling my Shadow ACE cruiser with a deer)

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Another alternative would be the R-10s which I believe you can pick up as cheap as 2600 with a Ray Samuel's Emmeline HR-2. One of the members Markl has this combination and really enjoys it.

My thoughts exactly!!! But alas, no XLR.
Unless you're partial to tubes; then maybe a Stealth>HD650.
Oh wait, still no XLR.
What's the XLR needed for?
CPW

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Hehehe
rolleyes.gif
Grrrrr.
tongue.gif

Hmmm, I'm currently on a 900 Ninja. Yes, I can catch you
icon10.gif

(first bike after totalling my Shadow ACE cruiser with a deer)

Hmmmmm,30 foot RV vs. motorcycle. I'll take that those odds.
biggrin.gif

but wait,one member of the Stax Mafia has a sense of humor. You better stop talking to me before they off you.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 24
I like the idea of the Single Power Maestro ZR, but maybe a pair of W2002's instead of CD3000's? I suppose this is a preference issue, but "accurate" the CD3000's are not (to my ears, with all apologies, etc) because of their over-emphasis on the upper frequencies. The Maestro is one sweet looking and sounding amp! The Emmaline Stealth would be another good candidate.

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 24
Going the PS-1 route I would get a Gilmore Balanced Reference which does have both XLR and RCA hookups and let him go balanced which really improves the sound. Mine should be in soon and I can actually try the combination, I'm guesssing it's going to be a winner based on the synergy with the RS-1 and HP-1, but that still has to be confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back