Newbie after full rig max around $3500?
Apr 27, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
My thoughts exactly!!! But alas, no XLR.
Unless you're partial to tubes; then maybe a Stealth>HD650.
Oh wait, still no XLR.
What's the XLR needed for?
CPW

My DAC has one RCA and one XLR output.... The mfg recommends using the single ended interconnects within their system(it does sound better) so I have the XLR free as an available output to feed the headphone setup.... Unless I want to get an adapter in which case all single ended would work....

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Hmmmmm,30 foot RV vs. motorcycle. I'll take that those odds.
biggrin.gif

but wait,one member of the Stax Mafia has a sense of humor. You better stop talking to me before they off you.

Hehehe!
biggrin.gif

OK, I'm also a licensed CDL class A driver. How about a 40 ton rig w/52ft trailer against your RV?

Oh, no! They've found me! It was a good life! Ack, cough...

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #18 of 24
I've been told (by folks who know lots more than me) to avoid using the balanced outs "just cuz you want to" and that unless you have a specific noise issue, you'll get better sound from the rca's. I just went through a similar decision because I wanted to slpit the signal from a Meridian to an HT rig on the other side of the room and to a HP amp.
I decided to buy a Quintete switcher from HeadFier "Fidddler" so that the Meridians signal goes into a small box and then is routed by a switch to one of two outputs. The box is very well built and I predict it will have 0 impact on the sound-I just received it yesterday so I can't quite verify that yet.
This would obviate the need for balanced ins and significantly open up your range of choices (like R10/HR-2 or Stealth/HD650)
600smile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 24
First step would be to figure out just how much isolation you need. If you want a closed phone, so that people around you can't hear the music at all, your options are more limited. Even so, I'd make different recommendations depending on which of your attributes was most important to you.

Musical: Sony MDR-R10/Singlepower Supra
Accurate: Grado PS-1/modified Melos amp
Detailed: Stax Omega II/SRM-007t (I haven't properly heard KGSS or Blue Hawaii amps with Omega II)
Fast: Stax Omega II
Proper soundstage: Sony R10 or AKG K-1000 (wouldn't need headphone amp, as this can be driven from speaker outputs). Proper soundstage and headphones is a tricky topic. However, IMO these two do it best. I suspect that the angled drivers come into play here.

I'll add dynamics, just for another category to recommend the PS-1.

I have not heard the latest from Audio Technica (L3000) or Ultrasone Edition 7, either of which is priced at audiophile levels, although I have no clue about performance.

For highest resolution, I'd have to say Omega II, with R10 just behind.
For tonal accuracy, I'd give it to the PS-1 with Omega II following.

For just listening to music, while shaking your head in disbelief at how good it sounds despite some very obvious tonal flaws (low levels of bass and slightly tipped highs), the R10 is it. The right amp can push this headphone to stunning performance with the right tubes. If I could only have one headphone, it would be the R10. Others have chosen differently (I haven't heard the aftermarket Stax amps properly, which reportedly bring the Omega II to a much better level of performance).

Of these, all are open headphones except the R10.

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Sony R10 or AKG K-1000 (wouldn't need headphone amp, as this can be driven from speaker outputs).

How would one accomplish changing the cable to be fed directly from a preamp's amplifier output? Would it make a difference, XLR or RCA?

If easy to do or have done what cables would be best for the R10?

Price wise brings the R10 into realm of reality and could wait till funds accrue for appropriate dedicated headamp

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhodyavphile
How would one accomplish changing the cable to be fed directly from a preamp's amplifier output? Would it make a difference, XLR or RCA?

If easy to do or have done what cables would be best for the R10?

Price wise brings the R10 into realm of reality and could wait till funds accrue for appropriate dedicated headamp

Hirsch was referring to the K1000's only which are designed to be driven directly from amps. The R10's need a dedicated headphone amp.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Hirsch was referring to the K1000's only which are designed to be driven directly from amps. The R10's need a dedicated headphone amp.

True. However, using the ASL Reference Tools, there's no reason that the R10 couldn't be driven from any high quality preamp (depending mainly on the quality of the transformer in the ASL Reference Tools, which I have not heard).

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #23 of 24
The cans that do it all for me (comfort, soundstage, bass, etc.) has been the Stax Omega II. Combine a pair with a KGSS with a choke filter on the power supply, some upgraded caps, and you're set for some serious tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back