Newbie about to take a quantum leap...
Sep 28, 2002 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

secretasianman

100+ Head-Fier
Here's my situation - I ordered a pair of Senn HD280's ($75 from etronics.com) because I wanted some new closed headphones (for PC gaming/music of all genres) better than my cheapo Sony CD360's. When I realized that I had given them the wrong billing address (cancelling my order), I had a moment of clarity - why not just take the plunge and get a pair of Sony CD3000's?

Now I know that most ppl would recommend that I take smaller steps, but the CD3k's look *perfect* for me: they're comfortable and closed (which automatically rules out Grado/other supra-aural phones), relatively easy to drive, and among the most highly regarded phones out there.

Are my source and amp (CT470 and Mini-Meta) extremely deficient for these phones? Any reasons why I shouldn't just get the headphones now?

Sep 28, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 22
Ehhh... I've only listened to the CD3000's briefly, but I really didn't like them. I probably shouldn't be talking about them, but I don't know. You might just wanna go ahead and go with the 280's. Besides, they'll be good phones for some portable use later down the line when you also have a good home setup.

Sep 28, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 22
Dude, get the Audio technica w100. It is absolutely wonderful. Plus it fills your criteria perfectly. If you are ready to take the plunge (and trust me this is the way to go) it is $350 at www.audiocubes.com

Sep 28, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 22
While a lot of us may say we don't like the cd3000s, its probably because we heard them at the WOH tour, and its not entirely clear how well the cd3ks match up with the headroom home. I'd first take an audition of them, if you can, or order from a place with a liberal return policy. On the w100 front, they are great with some music, simply "meh" with others. Can you consider the hd580s or hd600s?

Sep 28, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 22
The 580's and 600's are not an option because secretasianman is looking for a closed set of cans.

Sep 28, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 22
You could always keep half an eye out for the Sony MDR-V6s
smily_headphones1.gif
Though you can do better for more money I'm sure.

Sep 28, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 22
The CD3000 is not closed.

The W100 is a GREAT alternative. AND you get wood instead of plastic.. Plus the headband is supposed to be brilliant.. And as far as I know, the plastic looking parts are actually magnesium!!

Did I mention the sound?? I think almost anyone would take it over the CD3000 anyday...

Sep 28, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 22
As an owner of the CD3000's I feel I should step in here. They are great cans and I don't think you would be unhappy with them. They are very easy to drive, without an amp, but they do benefit from an amp. They can sound very brite with the wrong equipment, but with the right equipment they offer amazing amounts of detail, liquid midrange, and honest accurate bass. With the wrong euipment, you will likely hate them. I find they easily let me hear things other cans hide, but I have spent time and money getting to the right balance of aggressive/passive. The CD3000 is a closed back can. It does not offer a high degree of isolation from room noise. No headphone I have heard offers isolation, other then the ear canal phones like the Ety's. Are they the right phones for you? I would like to see you get a chance to try a pair with the option of sending them back if you don't like them. No one really knows what a headphone sounds like from a two minute listening session. You need to spend some time with the phones to know if they are what you want.

Sep 28, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 22
I think the Sony CD3000 and Audio-Technica W100 are overrated and overpriced, though both are indeed very comfortable.

For closed headphones, I would seek out:
Sony V6 (~$60 shopping.yahoo.com)
Ultrasone HFI-650 ($140 www.meier-audio.com)
Etymotic ER-4S ($270 www.headphone.com)

I like Audio-Technica W2002 (~$800) a lot but have trouble recommending such an expensive headphone with the flaws that distracted me so much in them, despite liking so many of their qualities--and they're discontinued. I have not heard the Audio-Technica W11R and I'm unsure who still carries it, but its price was slightly less than the W2002.

I have trouble recommending the Sony R10 ($4000) because it is so expensive (even if you have unlimited funds)--and they're discontinued.

The Beyerdynamic DT250-80 ($155 www.meier-audio.com) was one I recommended a lot but it seems the Ultrasone betters them at a slightly lower price. They have a soft, forgiving top and an emphasized midbass that make them suitable for poor sources such as portables. The Beyerdynamic DT770 ($140 www.meier-audio.com is beloved by many on Head-Fi but with an overemphasized bass and rolled off treble, it's definitely not a headphone for everyone. The Beyerdynamic DT831 ($145 www.meier-audio.com) has the opposite problem with a clean but overemphasized treble region and not nearly enough bass.

Just my opinion.

Sep 29, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The Beyerdynamic DT250-80 ($155 www.meier-audio.com) was one I recommended a lot but it seems the Ultrasone betters them at a slightly lower price. They have a soft, forgiving top and an emphasized midbass that make them suitable for poor sources such as portables.

Kelly, where'd you find the Ultrasone cans?

Sep 29, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 22
He gives a link to meier audio . . .

Though, I still think, properly amped, the cd3000 might be great. I don't want to judge them through a 10 minute audition at the WOH tour.

Sep 29, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

As an owner of the CD3000's I feel I should step in here. They are great cans and I don't think you would be unhappy with them. They are very easy to drive, without an amp, but they do benefit from an amp. They can sound very brite with the wrong equipment, but with the right equipment they offer amazing amounts of detail, liquid midrange, and honest accurate bass. With the wrong euipment, you will likely hate them.

My sentiments exactly, Budgie. The CD3000s sound absolutely wonderful (to my ears) with the Earmax Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back