Newb With a ? Bout the Bravo Audio V2
May 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sixly

Head-Fier
I'm just really starting to get into headphones and portable headphone amps (started off my audiophilic neurosis with my original Klipsch ProMedia v.400 THX 4.1 speakers for an original vintage 1997 AlienWare gaming rig I won at a QuakeII LAN and move to stereo speakers then car so I'm diving into the deep end here) and I've acquired as my main headphones Klipsch HD558s and a Bravo Audio V2 tube amp.  I adore this amp and I picked it up for less than $60 but I've read some comments on Amazon saying that one should really replace the OEM tube.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm in a "bang for buck" mode right now with my current employment/income situation so if it's expensive than I guess I really shouldn't complain since it sounds gorgeous and looks stunning (to my eyes and ears at least hehe)

Thanks.

May 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi sixly,
I also got the V2 tube amp and after doing a lot of reading here and other audiophile sites I decided to get the most out of my V2 amp and mod it. While it is true that a different tube will give a different/better sound, there are other mods that you can do that will give you more "bang for buck" than just replacing the tube.

Checkout this site which goes over some of the most common mods. I've done most of them with the exception of replacing bias resistors for pots but I'm not planning on doing any tube rolling. I'm still using the stock tube and use my amp to drive my DT880 600ohm headphones and the sound I really love this pairing.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey sorry I missed this, I'll head on over and check it out.  It really is a piece of art (makes the burns from the heatsinks worth it 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back