Newb to this world, I'm all ears!
Jan 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dgabe24

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone...

Been diving in head first to this world of headphones lately and wow, you can get lost in here. 

I've comprised a list of headphones that fit my criteria and I'm struggling now with price point, and what's reasonable for my use. 

I'm looking at BT headphones (preferably over ear, but possibly on ear) that I can wear for working out, traveling, and around the house. 

My list includes:
Plantronics Backbeat Pro's  (Giodio seems to be a big fan)
Bose Soundlink Around Ear (great NC)
Jabra Revo's (still undecided since they're on-ear, but thewirecutter loved them and they're $80 on ebay lol)
Sony MR10BT's (have seen mixed reviews)
August EP650's (much cheaper, still seem to be quality)
Sony DR-XB950BT (love the look, and they seem highly portable)
AKG K845 Black (probably out of my price range, but on the list)

Looking forward to your suggestions, and thanks in advance.

-Dave 

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 8
If you're all ears then you need multiple pairs of headphones
biggrin.gif

What kind of music you listen to? (Please don't say "I listen to pretty much everything"! Every time a new head-fi'er says that, God kills a kitten.)

What kind of sound do you prefer? Bassy? Bright?

What headphones have you owned/tried? Did you like them? What did you like/dislike about them?

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 8
  If you're all ears then you need multiple pairs of headphones
biggrin.gif

What kind of music you listen to? (Please don't say "I listen to pretty much everything"! Every time a new head-fi'er says that, God kills a kitten.)

What kind of sound do you prefer? Bassy? Bright?

What headphones have you owned/tried? Did you like them? What did you like/dislike about them?

I figured I was opening the door for some bad jokes :p  

I listen to EDM 90% of the time and then rock/rap when I'm lifting (old Eminem, Sevendust, Nonpoint, etc.) 

I like bass but not to the point that it drowns out the synthesizers and other intricacies. 

I just sold a pair of AKG K240's and the sound was solid, but the open-ear style was no good. Too much external noise getting in (Fiance singing -_- and everyone around me had to listen to my music lol) Other than that I haven't owned any great pairs of cans. 

get a hd600 so you know what good sound is like and try out any other headphone against it

Not a bad idea, thanks for that eugenius. 

If you're planning to go bluetooth, is it for sports? If I had to choose from your list then the best for that will be jabra revo in my opinion.

Yeah it's for working out and when I travel. I really hate when a cord gets snagged or pull from the device, even if it means spending a little extra and sacrificing some sound quality (which I likely won't notice). The REVO do get great reviews but I think over-ear may be better for me for the additional noise reduction and comfort. 

Giogio made some great suggestions and I've wittled it down to a list:

Plantronics Backbeat Pro
Bose Soundlink Around-Ear (these are so ugly with that huge BT attachment lol)
Sony MDR-1RBTMK2
Pendulumic Stance S1+ (these look awesome imo)

The Urbanite XL seem pretty ideal, and the wireless momentum might be worth waiting for. Just sold a lot of stuff on ebay so I'm ready to purchase in the near future. 

Probably going to pull the trigger on the Backbeat Pros within the next week and see how they are. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Really love the look of the Stance S1+ but I'm reading some not-so-great things about the noise cancelling, or lack thereof. For now, looks like the Backbeat Pro are the way to go for EDM, BT, ANC. 

Thanks for the help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back