New Zune @ Newegg - $99.99
Nov 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 17
It's got wifi for trading files between Zunes, and after Nov 13th for syncing wirelessly, and MAYBE downloading from the Zune marketplace.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 17
Yep. That remains the problem: brown. Still can't get warmed up to it, even at the same price for new vs my Woot! refurb.

I do wonder how Microsoft is going to market these things at $200 after the new Zunes come out. If there are no hardware changes or a price drop across the board, I don't think it'll do too much. Especially with the snazzy Zune 80 only $50 more.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Prices will come down. Probably that is. Retailers will certainly drop theirs, Microsoft should follow suit. At least to remain viable in the market that is.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Having a brown refurbed Zune, I can say:

1) The brown actually looks nice. It looks fine in your hand, just doesn't photograph well.

2) I don't know if Zunes in general have bad sound quality, my Zune is a bad sample, or my Rio Carbon is just that good, but I noticed immediately how much better the Carbon is. Shame too, because the Zune has so much more stoarage and that giant screen.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 17
I never liked the Rio Carbon, it was very disappointing after owning the Karma. As for the Zune, i agree the brown doesn't look bad in person, sound quality wasn't bad either, i would rate it above the Rio Carbon for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a brown refurbed Zune, I can say:

1) The brown actually looks nice. It looks fine in your hand, just doesn't photograph well.

2) I don't know if Zunes in general have bad sound quality, my Zune is a bad sample, or my Rio Carbon is just that good, but I noticed immediately how much better the Carbon is. Shame too, because the Zune has so much more stoarage and that giant screen.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never liked the Rio Carbon, it was very disappointing after owning the Karma. As for the Zune, i agree the brown doesn't look bad in person, sound quality wasn't bad either, i would rate it above the Rio Carbon for sure.

Hey, maybe it's just variations in the models. My Carbon is the 5GB Pearl, and when using low impedence headphones straight out of the headphone jack, sounds almost indistinguishable from my Headroom Desktop amp running over USB, bit perfect, Foobar, etc.

There's nothing I can do with my Zune to clean up the sound to anything close to that. Maybe I just have a bad unit or there is a reason it's a refurb.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 17
x2 on the Brown, it looks good. I got both a brown and black on the woot deals, and ended up letting my daughter have the black one.

Besides, you can get all kinds of skins for them is you want to spruce up the appearance.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chispito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, maybe it's just variations in the models. My Carbon is the 5GB Pearl, and when using low impedence headphones straight out of the headphone jack, sounds almost indistinguishable from my Headroom Desktop amp running over USB, bit perfect, Foobar, etc.

There's nothing I can do with my Zune to clean up the sound to anything close to that. Maybe I just have a bad unit or there is a reason it's a refurb.

Thats the same model i have/had, i think after having the karma for so long i expected more from it. I personally think that the karma had the best headphone out, compared to new and old DAPs

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 17
brown the only good color out of the three IMO, i never thought this, and i would have never bought one if i didnt end up winning it on ebay for a rediculous amount ($85---in may---when it was over $180 average)

but ya, brown the best color. i've come to realize. everyone who sees my zune agrees, even thought if you told them before hand u had a brown mp3 player they would think.. POOP, but if you look at it, you associate it more with WOOD, or VINTAGE.

in my opinion of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back