New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
May 8, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #258 of 1,355
Would you mind testing the Zishan Z1's with an Android Phone as a portable DAC
and see if it works? Mine is on its way (1 to 2 weeks from now) and the wait is killing me.

@Frederick Wang has confirmed in a previous post that it works on his Android device.

I think you will find that Android USB Audio is not always guaranteed, in my case, sadly the Z1 is not working, UAPP can detect the Z1 but when I start playback, there is no music coming out from the headphone jack.

May 8, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #259 of 1,355
My work PC is really locked down, so that's something I want to know, as well. I'll be testing what happens when it's connected to a Win10 PC, when I get to work tomorrow morning.

I can say that it was detected by my home PC (Win7 Pro), and the drivers auto-installed, without my having to click on anything - except opening the Audio Settings and selecting the Z1 as a Playback Device.

So, I connected it to the locked-down Win10 PC at work (which I cannot install SW or Drivers on), and it immediately showed up in the "Playback Devices" (as Default). Just listened to some YouTube videos.

I'm impressed that this $32 Player works on my work PC, when the $150 - $200 Players (Cayin N3 & Shanling M2s) won't, because they require drivers to be installed.

May 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #262 of 1,355
Listening to a Lindsey Stirling concert on YouTube, with the Z1 connected to my K's 500, and the Bass impact is really impressive.

May 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #264 of 1,355
So, I connected it to the locked-down Win10 PC at work (which I cannot install SW or Drivers on), and it immediately showed up in the "Playback Devices" (as Default). Just listened to some YouTube videos.

I'm impressed that this $32 Player works on my work PC, when the $150 - $200 Players (Cayin N3 & Shanling M2s) won't, because they require drivers to be installed.

Thanks for the check. I've already ordered it, I've got an offer in Ali for less than 26€.

May 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #267 of 1,355
I received my Zishan today! Unfortunately it arrived with the power switch set to "on" so I need to fully charge it before I can use it. It'd still need to charge it anyway of course so a minor annoyance at worst but still -- turn it off before you ship it guys! :wink:

(And no it had never been opened so I can't blame US Customs.)

May 9, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #268 of 1,355
You're saying the opamp rolling on Zishan sounds better? With the same amps?

Yes - it sounds better.

No - not the same op amps, e.g. the LME49720NA does not work in the Walnut too well (needs decoupling capacitors most likely), it shines in the Zishan... YMMD

IMHO there is currently no reason to get a Walnut v2, given the sound quality of the Zishan Z1 and its USB DAC mode it is simply in another league. Even OOB with the lowly NE5532.

May 9, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #270 of 1,355
Hopefully the competition between the Walnut and the Zishan means we'll get ongoing improvements to both as they continue to outdo one another :-D

Really like both, so it's win win, although my 'heart' is with the Walnut as it came first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back