New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #32 of 529
Wow, two Hugo coming now! Fantastic! That's been on my radar a while, will be great to finally get a chance to hear it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #33 of 529
Would love to be there, shame I'm at the wrong end of the country. Cheaper to get the Aus than Akld.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #34 of 529
Apr 27, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #35 of 529
I know what you mean (I'm in Invercargill) - but no way I'm missing this one. Plenty of time to save :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #36 of 529
There is of course nothing stopping someone else arranging one... I wouldn't be against more excuses to go to headphone meets in NZ :)

Also, just think of how much you'll save by being able to audition everything!

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #37 of 529
  OK, some news - we have a date! For a variety of reasons I have pushed it back until Saturday Sept 5th, and it will run from 10am-4pm (people showing gear will be able to come from 8am to set up and allow their Vega's/tubes and suchlike time to warm up). Tickets will be the same as last year at $10 (on sale on Trademe shortly) and people showing gear get free entry for their community service.

In other news:

I just pulled the trigger on some Mr Speakers Ethers, and a pair of Questyle CMA800R amps (for monoblock mode for the HE-6!), and there is still a possibility I might grab an Yggdrasil before the meet (although if I did I would probably need to jetison the Vega to cover costs). I'll also have plenty of portable gears to bring along with the T5p, Senn Momentum 2.0, PM-3, HA-2, Geek Out 450, Schiit Fulla, Dragonfly 1.2 and HeadAmp Pico DAC/amp.

...and I'm in talks with an SR009 owner and hoping to convince him to bring them along for us all to drool over (figuratively, at any rate, as I doubt the prospect of having the 009s doused in the saliva of strangers will prove a selling point).

I am particularly interested in the Oppo HA-2 - can you still use this with the old ipod classic (generation 6, 160GB)?

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #38 of 529
I am particularly interested in the Oppo HA-2 - can you still use this with the old ipod classic (generation 6, 160GB)?

I think so, but I'd have to check since I'm not an 'i-device' kinda guy.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #40 of 529

That's cool - I can check it out and audition at the meet...

I have a trip to the US at the end of Sept, so that may be buying some gear over there ... going to RMAF and its associated CanJam in Denver too which is rather exciting!

WOW! RMAF and CanJam, very jealous! 

I just had a thought - I wondered if any of you guys have skills with graphic design? It sure would be nice to have a logo for the event, perhaps even a catchy name like CanJam - don't you think?

...a logo would probably be just the inspiration I require to arrange some t-shirts...

(eventually I will try and manage this, but, ah, my best effort may not be all that good)

Also: tentative confirmation that NZ'd Metrum Acoustics distributor is likely to be showing of their range again this year, and hopefully we will have the iFi range around again too.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #42 of 529

Hi All

Like Murray I am an enthusiast first as well as mono micro dealer. As serious headphone listening only cropped up a year ago for me, still a relative beginner. So last years’ meet was a good crash course across the board.

I mentioned to Murray that for detail my headphone system outperforms my main system and I am surprised at what gets lost. It would be good to see some Electros on offer – never heard myself. People did ask last time and I have been interested too for some time.

It’s a way off yet but hope to attend barring unforseens and should have an interesting mix of things to listen to. One weighs in at 18KG and has been an eye opener so far, which is not bad for something about 20 years old. Does play up though !

Will have a Mac Pro available for anyone wanting to bring a ‘stick’ with their own music and hi res for comparison, with a  CD player or two, if you have matching discs or just discs. A few Stereophile 24/96 test discs plus some Remastered v. original CD’s etc. –  if taste suits.

HD800’s and Beyer T1’s to try out.

Interested to hear a pair of Alpha Dogs if someone has a pair to bring along.

Cheers Ian

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #43 of 529
Never been to a meet before so I don't know how it works haha. Was just wondering, since I use my computer as my source for music, how will my rig play? I think I'll need someone elses laptop/source? I don't want to depend on someones laptop or anything but I have no other player besides my phone haha. I can also bring along my Westone ES50's that I just received!

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #44 of 529
Never been to a meet before so I don't know how it works haha. Was just wondering, since I use my computer as my source for music, how will my rig play? I think I'll need someone elses laptop/source? I don't want to depend on someones laptop or anything but I have no other player besides my phone haha. I can also bring along my Westone ES50's that I just received!

Should be able to swing a hotspot for WiFi at the venue on the day, and my suggestion is that everyone exhibiting and using computers as sources should use a free trial of Tidal (unless already subbed of course) to try and allow a really good selection of music at lossless quality for people to try. Also recommend bringing in your own material on an external drive of some kind too.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #45 of 529
Should be able to swing a hotspot for WiFi at the venue on the day, and my suggestion is that everyone exhibiting and using computers as sources should use a free trial of Tidal (unless already subbed of course) to try and allow a really good selection of music at lossless quality for people to try. Also recommend bringing in your own material on an external drive of some kind too.

I won't be able to bring my computer down to the venue... Maybe I could use my phone as the source? The thing is, my Bifrost Uber has to be connected via USB and my phone obviously doesn't have USB so I don't know what to do. Hopefully I could share a table with someone who has a laptop and share with them but that seems impractical because we have to constantly change the output source etc :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back