New Yorkers' Last Chance to See Morricone Conduct?
Dec 11, 2006 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Likely as not, since the esteemed flick composer is now in his eighties. Little chance he'll be conducting his passacaglia from The Stendhal Syndrome, or any of his difficult absolute music, but even so: Buy that ticket while you can for a few dollars less. True legends are growing scarce.

Ennio113.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Why the angry emoticon? Are you upset that (i) you won't be able to go or (ii) that this might be E.M.'s last concert in New York? If (i), you've a few months before the concert and tickets are still available. If (ii), don't mourn in advance, as E.M. might still surprise us; also, since I can't recall his having been here during my time in New York, this last opportunity might be a first.

My point was that one should go, wan skev13. That way, one (and by one, I mean voi) will be able to experience and savor the composer directly, without unsavory interlocutor spillage leaking onto one's auricular cod.

I was too young to see Stravinsky and too annoyed to see Boulez; Vladimir Horowitz, I'll rewind always (however uncomfortable that might make his corpse); Rostropovich and Vengerov will suffice for LIVE! HOT! ALL-NUDE Shostakovich. Takemitsu and Schnittke, I can't explain away.

Morricone's difficult pieces reek of high modernism and his experimental work with Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuovo Consonanza is lastingly jazzy and pomo. He is perhaps the last film composer to leave behind an analysis-worthy oeuvre to match his fun side (populist dismissals of all difficulty notwithstanding). Also: he might be the only living film composer to make nearly everyone's album list (with the possible exception of my interlocutor, who is not one's cod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back