(New York) or (Chicago) Style Pizza,,,???
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #61 of 77
Overall I prefer Chicago. It's virtually a meal in a slice. I do like New York style on occasion, and it is more convenient to eat admittedly, but if it's a choice between the two it has to be Chicago.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem.
biggrin.gif
As far as I know, Totonno's in Coney Island is still open, but it's been a little while since I've been there. As for location, yes- go there as opposed to the other locations in Yonkers and Manhattan (which, it must be said, are also still excellent). Totonno's used to close one day of the week (was it Monday?) when they'd get their coal shipment in and they'd remove the existing ashes. So if it's going to be a ride for you, check to make sure they will be open.

Incidentally, another great pizzeria I didn't mention in my previous posts is Angelo's on 57th street between 7th ave and Ave of the Americas. Same fresh ingredient, coal-oven-y goodness.

Sweet thanks! I live about 10-15 minutes by car from their Coney Island location. I'll be sure to check it out soon... and all of those other places you mentioned.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #63 of 77
Lived in Chicago for twenty years. Moved to DC. Anywhere in Chicago you can find a ton of great Pizza shops. In DC (well, Alexandria) I found one.

There are a couple of styles of Deep Dish in the city, so calling pizza "Chicago Style" is a bit of a misnomer. That being said every once in a while I just get an incredible craving for Geno's fried corn crust deep dish and nothing else can satisfy. You know the difference between Frozen French Fries and fresh ones? That's the difference between the Geno's you buy in the grocery store and getting it fresh. Still good, but pales in comparison.

There is a place on Broadway near Diversey called "Renaldi's" that serves Sicilian style deep dish pizza. I've never seen it anywhere else and if you're ever in the neighborhood it's well worth checking out. Their thin crust pizzas are the best in the neighborhood also.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #67 of 77
Make mine "Old Pa" style, please.
biggrin.gif

When I make pizza at home, it's thin crust that gets baked by itself at 400F for eight minutes. Then on goes the finely chopped garlic brushed over with a drizzle of EVOO, layer of fresh washed spinach, chopped shallots, sliced fresh mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, roast chicken or turkey (first lightly sprinkled with poultry seasoning), 1 cup of low fat mozarella, 1/2 cup of no fat feta or crumbled goat cheese, and 1/4 cup of parmesan, a light sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper and italian herbs and baked at 425F until golden brown and intensely aromatic. Fully baked crispy crust, way less fat and calories, best pizza I've ever had. Yummo!
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #69 of 77
NY-style pizza doesn't do anything for me. Chicago-style pizza very much does. My favorite is the stuffed spinach pizza at Edwardo's.

Now I'm in Minneapolis, and my choices pretty much suck. Chris and Rob's (formerly Joey D's) is pretty good, and Punch Pizza's neopolitan-style pizza is decent, but that's about it.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #70 of 77
Mar 8, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only in Throgs Neck and Arthur Ave.

Can't leave out Pelham Bay or Morris Park and my personal fav is the Circle Pizzeria in Hugh Grant Circle. Thin crust with a perfect balance of cheese and sauce, their $5 pie is a best buy!

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Giordanos nough said.

'Nuff said...end of thread...brought back a dead thread!

Mmmmm....pizza
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't leave out Pelham Bay or Morris Park and my personal fav is the Circle Pizzeria in Hugh Grant Circle. Thin crust with a perfect balance of cheese and sauce, their $5 pie is a best buy!

I will definitely check those out. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #73 of 77
I'll take a Chicago style Deep Dish pizza with New York Style Pizza as the topping.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make mine "Old Pa" style, please.
biggrin.gif

When I make pizza at home, it's thin crust that gets baked by itself at 400F for eight minutes. Then on goes the finely chopped garlic brushed over with a drizzle of EVOO, layer of fresh washed spinach, chopped shallots, sliced fresh mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, roast chicken or turkey (first lightly sprinkled with poultry seasoning), 1 cup of low fat mozarella, 1/2 cup of no fat feta or crumbled goat cheese, and 1/4 cup of parmesan, a light sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper and italian herbs and baked at 425F until golden brown and intensely aromatic. Fully baked crispy crust, way less fat and calories, best pizza I've ever had. Yummo!
wink.gif

You had me going until you mentioned "low fat" cheese.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back